SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

'Distant Drums' -- The Photo I SHOULD Have Had

jerijen
11 years ago

When we were working on the Open Garden catalog, I dragged my feet on completion, looking for a good photo of 'Distant Drums.' I never found what I wanted.

Then, this morning, here pops up just what I wanted, as a FB post from my friend, Steven Sunshine. So, borrowing from Steve, I want to share . . .

àâÂÂDistant DrumsâÂÂàÃÂ

(Shrub Rose, Dr. Griffith J. Buck (UnitedÃÂ States, 1984; Mauve or Purple Blend; September Song ÃÂ The Yeoman; 17-25 petals; cluster-flowering.)

âÂÂDistant Drums,â aside from a distinct and lovely myrrh (licorice/anise) fragrance, juxtaposes two colors never seen outside of nature�"a combination of tan and mauve. (You might even say, âÂÂpowdered cinnamon with faint lavender tones.âÂÂ) Given that start, the combination of colors changes daily on its way to a fine, faint lilac finish.ÃÂ

But thereâÂÂs more to a rose than the bloom. âÂÂDistant Drums,â also offers dense, healthy, attractive foliage. Buds cut early, and allowed to open indoors in a vase, retain more of the unique fragrance, and more of the color tones, while hot sun and heat can wash out the colors before time.

Kim Rupert, himself a noted hybridizer of roses, notes that this Buck rose is the âÂÂspiritual descendantâ of âÂÂLavender Pinnochio,â offering the best of what that earlier rose SHOULD have been.

Jeri

Comments (10)