SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uny2bld

Converting back deck to a Greenhouse

uny2bld
10 years ago

Hello everyone, I could use some advice.

My wife and I live in Upstate NY in grow zone 5a but we have pretty harsh winters. I want to convert my back deck into a greenhouse for Aquaponics. I�d like some advice on building materials and design if possible.

The deck is 244" x 167" minus the 74" x 115" corner where the laundry room extends out from the rest of the house � but I might want to extend the greenhouse a little past the deck so my stock tubs can be near ground level giving me maximum space for racks above the line of stock tubs.

I�d like to build off of the roof where the laundry room is which is 130" tall at the peak (which is near the center of the deck)

I am looking at 48 in. x 96 in. Multiwall Hurricane Panels (sold at Home Depot) for the walls and Tuftex 144-in x 26-in Clear Corrugated Polycarbonate Roof Panels (at LOWES) for the roof. I was also thinking about using pressure treated posts and 2 x 4�s for the ceiling.

For the roof, would 12� long 2 x 4�s be strong enough for our harsh winters in upstate NY? Also, what kind of spacing would I need for the ceiling? I know I�d want as wide as possible for maximum lighting but I need it to be strong enough also� Advice?

How difficult would it be to make the greenhouse stay at 80 degrees all winter long?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths