SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buford_gw

JP Umbrella Trellis broke off at the base!

buford
15 years ago

I've had Teasing Georgia on a J&P Umbrella Trellis for about 5 years now. It was secured by 9 inches of spikes into the ground. It's lasted thru 3 hurricanes, the tornado like weather we had last weekend. But today we had incredible wind gusts up to 75 mph. I heard the wind and our power went in and out. I just happened to look out the front door and I saw TG leaning over on it's side. I grabbed a raincoat and shoes and ran out. It first appeared that the trellis was pulled straight out of the ground.

It had been leaning during the tornado warnings, and we've had lots of rain, so I figured it just became loose. My husband and I desperately tried to secure the trellis upright with some strong wire strung to the front porch. The wind made it impossible, it was blowing in all directions. We just managed to get it attached so it wouldn't blow away, but it was still listing.

When the wind and rain died down, I went out to investigate. The lowest ring was still buried right under the ground, but the to east most tines had broken right off! I don't know if it was a weakness of the metal or the wind or the wet ground, but the are unattached from the bottom of the trellis. I was able to resecure the rose more upright. I think for now we will try to stake the trellis to the ground somehow. I can't get the rose off the trellis without cutting most of it off. If I do that it will wait till fall.

I just wanted to tell anyone who is thinking of getting one of the J&P trellises. I supposed it lasted as long as I could expect, but it's not a permanent solution. I guess I'll have to go with rebar.

The good part was when the rose was lying on it's side, I was able to cut off a lot of old hips and dead growth that was too high on top for me to get to before :)

Comments (12)