SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rusty_blackhaw

The Spring 2014 edition of Never Plant This

rusty_blackhaw
10 years ago

Funny the things you experience while doing the spring weeding.

I just decided to rip out the hardy prickly pear in one of my beds. It is spiny, vicious and has yet to bloom after several years. I carefully dig it out wearing gloves while sparing its neighbor, the spineless prickly pear (which does flower). Then I decide to take off the glove on my left hand to weed among the spineless prickly pear pads, little realizing that its now defunct neighbor has shed a bunch of sharp little glochid hairs onto it, with the result that I now have a hand containing lots of glochids embedded in an existing case of poison ivy, which does not feel good.

Do not grow spiny prickly pears with glochids, unless you enjoy pain.

For about the last six years, I've had (in the same bed) a dwarf variegated bamboo, which appeared to be gamely hanging on while not doing much of anything. This spring I noticed there seemed to be two adjacent clumps where I only remembered one before. I decided this might be a bad sign and went to dig them up. It turns out that sometime during this past year (including the worst winter in the last decade), the bamboo was busy sending out whipcord-strong underground stems and spreading plantlets up to 15 feet away. I have pulled most of them, but inevitably I am in for a battle for years to come to eradicate this thing.

Plant your bamboo in pots, even if they look frail and you're assured they're non-runners. You'll be glad you did.

And don't get me started on Lysimachia-lawn.

Comments (28)