SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardningscomplicated

plastic and ventilation for a low tunnel

I'm going to build a low tunnel, and probably cover it with plastic, for my tomato seedlings. My other option is row cover material, but I'm leaning toward clear plastic. It'll have about 150 square feet of growing space. Or I might have 2 tunnels about 75 square feet each. And I'll probably use 1/2 inch, 10 foot conduit for the hoops. I'm also thinking about lining the floor with plastic or row cover material. Anyway, I have a few questions.

1) Is regular builder's plastic ok? I know it won't last very long, because it's not uv protected. But I only need it to work for about 6 weeks. And is it comparable to greenhouse plastic in the amount of light it lets in?

2) What thickness of plastic do I need? It seems like most greenhouse plastic is 6 mil. But do I need that for a tunnel? It could get pretty windy, but I have lots of trees for windbreaks.

3) I'm thinking about cutting holes in the plastic, and attaching some screening for ventilation. I know I could just roll up the sides, but I want to keep slugs from crawling in. If I use the screens, about how much venting would I need? I'm thinking about having some near the top, maybe slightly toward the back/north side. And then some maybe a foot from the bottom on the back side. I'm guessing I'd have enough vents if I made a row of 6 inch squares spaced about every 2 feet on the top. And the same a foot from the bottom. Would that be enough? Or too much? I'm just guessing.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath