SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantslayer

starting tomatoes entirely under low hoop tunnel

plantslayer
15 years ago

Hello all...

My wife insists that when she was little, she always saw her grandfather start tomato (and other vegetable) seedlings under a low hoop tunnel/creche out in the vegetable patch. What she described to me is that he would plant seeds in the ground, cover them with a small tent/creche type thing (only a couple of feet high, covered in clear plastic sheeting, with the edged weighted down), and let them sprout under and develop there with no other light source than natural sunlight. THen he would transplant them to their final spot in the garden once they reached a certain level of maturity.

Her plan is to plant seeds in six-pack starter cups, and simply leaving these under a tunnel creche in the garden so that they will sprout when the temperature in the creche is warm enough. Of course, she will go to water them every day or so. She thinks that the plants will get a good bit of light out there, and that they will be hardier by the time they mature. I suppose this might be right, but if they don't sprout and start growing early enough, being hardy wont make them produce tomatoes any faster. The problem is, we live in a short growing season area (Seattle Washington, zone 8), and I am pretty sure that even with a creche in place the plants will not sprout and grow early enough or well enough to get a good head start on the season. I am concerned that if they are put out early and they sprout during a spate of warm weather, the weather will cool down and kill or stunt them soon afterwards.

Has anyone tried this method? Am I right in thinking that the plants will sprout and mature too late?

In any case, she relented enough to let me plant some "backup" plants in the house under a flourescent light and next to a sunny window. I expect that we'll be using my plants rather than hers when it comes time to transplant. :)

Comments (5)