SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stannz

Trellis + 'Vivak' = MAGIC !

stannz
18 years ago

Down here in balmy (but at times windy!)Wellington-New Zealand, I've been using a trellis & Vivak plastic PETG (Polyethylene Terephthalate Glycol) combo to great effect for some years. Check the web link where you can see it as a trellis doorway => www.manuka.orcon.net.nz/vivak.jpg

Trellis of course looks great in most gardens, but wind/rain, plants & insects come thru' + it doesn't create a greenhouse on it's own. My solution just involved a bit of Kiwi lateral thinking with the galvanised nailing of clear Vivak plastic (~1mm thick & thus beyond flapping in the wind) to the trellis joins! Here in NZ the Vivak costs ~US$30 a 2.4m x 1.2m sheet (that's ~ 8' x 4' ) & it cuts easily with sturdy snips, or even bends around a tight curve with heat gun persuasion. There's no need to pre drill as it nails "like tough cheese". Wide head galvanised nails stop any pull thru', & of course these also reinforce the trellis overlaps.

Most of my structures have been trellis greenhouse walls & vertical shelters with a very transparent "bare trellis" effect resulting - the Vivak itself near impossible to see. In 10 years not a single construction has failed, been poked thru by animals/kids or even faded- NZ has strong UV too - & it's not moved or distorted even with temps in the high 30s C (~100 F). Promotion of this approach welcomed- even an architectural mate has confessed to it's appeal. Stan

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:294773}}

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor