SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
farmerkevin

Long term cold composting

farmerkevin
10 years ago

I've been in this house for just over 3 years. When I moved in, a neighbor was moving out (I've lived on this street 27-28 years and grew up next door, but now own this house).

Well, my neighbor moving out (other side not this house) gave me his compost bin. He, as well as I, are organic minded. He had ice plant and all kinds of stuff in there. I cleaned it out and sifted through it and have been adding to it myself.

My question is, does compost go bad? How long can I keep it going?

It doesn't stink, and it's not sludgy. It is nice and black and smells sweet. I open the door on the bottom and pull out some good stuff.

I put it coffee grounds, tea bags, weeds, dried leaves, newspaper, leftover/old veggies, citrus peels, etc.

So as long as I keep turning it, and adding to it, it should go for a while. Right? I can't imagine it going "rancid." Or losing nutrients.

Oh and the picture is misleading. This is after turning the pile, and there are some big chunks hiding under the surface. And I just recently added enough leaves and weeds to fill it up the rest of the way.

Comments (9)