SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saypoint

Replacement shrubs after loss of trees

Saypoint zone 6 CT
16 years ago

After removing some old trees, a shrub planting I put in three years ago in a part sun location is now in mostly sun, with protection from the late afternoon sun and morning sun only. Some of the shrubs will tolerate the increased sun, but some, I think, will need to be moved to a shadier spot, and replaced with plants with similar characteristics if my overall design is not to be altered too much. I do plan on replanting some trees, but they will take time to get large enough to cast much shade, and they won't be as big as the ones that were there (Norway Maples, good riddance).

The plants that should be OK: Pieris, Oakleaf Hydrangea, Dwarf Deutzia, Fothergilla, and Taxus baccata 'Repandens'.

The ones that I think need to be relocated:

Kalmia 'Sarah'

Maybe use Abelia? or if deciduous, Koreanspice Viburnum or Hydrangea? Cornus alba? I think evergreen would be best, but size-wise I haven't come up with anything that will take that much sun in a broadleaf evergreen.

Azalea poukhanensis 'Compacta'

Again, Abelia comes to mind if not used elsewhere, or a landscape rose?

Rhododendron maximum

Blue Holly? Pieris? A small tree?

It's too bad that these shrubs will no longer have to compete with the roots of the maples, but now may have too much sun to do well in this area, which is on the north side of the house, but sunny when the sun is high.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Jo

Comments (4)