SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyofnc

Organic Adements for Shredded/Crosscut Newspaper

nancyofnc
17 years ago

Sorry if these are repeat questions, but the Search engine is not working.

What should I add to newspapers used as a mulch? Please do not say grass clippings because I have no lawn! And, second, will crosscut newspapers make an impeneterable barrier for water absorbtion if used as a mulch?

I have a huge and continuous supply of soy-ink newspapers and use two paper shredders - a strip and now a new crosscut. I've been using the strip cuts for three years to mulch annual veggies while growing. The strips decompose enough to plow under every year (I'm using crop rotation) and I also use them for year 'round mulch for my perennials like blackberries, horseradish, peaches, figs and asparagus.

I did notice a little vitality reduction during harvest last year, but that may have been weather/water/sun related, not soil related. Hard to tell. What other organics should I be adding to offset the mostly brown material? I do use a thick layer of compost as the plants emerge and then put on the shreds. Is this enough?

Now with the crosscut shredder, I'm wondering if the smaller pieces, when watered, will end up being impenetrable "paper pulp" when used as a mulch? Would I get more benfit from them if I put them in the huge compost bins? My compost includes liberal amounts of brown hardwood leaves in the fall and winter since I live in a forest. It is difficult to get an equal amount of greens from then on and into the spring until mid summer and early fall when the expended veggie plants go there.

Nancy the nancedar

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!