SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fuzzymoto

Crazy Time of the Year

14 years ago

We've hit what we now call the "crazy time" of the year in the greenhouse. Night time lows still in the 20F-30F range BUT with day time highs approaching the 70F range. Naturally our GH is not happy. This is our first year with the greenhouse wrapped in a solar pool cover. This worked great all winter and kept our temps and heating bills in a wonderful zone. But now with the GH sealed and no venting available, or inside temps are going crazy. We're running our circulation fans and misting system, but still seeing temps that are a little too hot. We've opted to open up our house door to the GH, but this makes the humidity in the house pretty frightening.

My question here is does anyone have any suggestions to mitigate this issue next season. We can't remove the cover becaus eit's still too cold at night. T complicate this even further, we're always out of town for much of March and April so we don't want to make any radical changes, and whatever we do has to be automated.

The only thing I can think of is to install an exhaust fan (w/shutters) up high in the GH with an opening in the solar pool cover and have it on a thermostat so when it gets hot, it will vent. Trouble is I'm not sure a) how effective it will be and b) where it will pull it's air from sinc ethe remainder of the greenhouse is sealed. I'm also not sure how to cut or replace the glass to install it and how easy that process (and the mounting process) will be.

I'm also considering that maybe next year we should pull the cover earlier...but again even with our heaters on, our tropicals are not likely to be happy if the temps drop significantly while we are away. I suspect they will be happier at 100F than 40F.

Any ideas??

Comments (10)