SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dk53

Arborvitaes browning-a plan of action right or wrong?

17 years ago

We purchased 31 arborvitaes in the mid to late Spring this year. 15 are in line from North to South on East side of my property and 16 on the West side. We have an eavesment, where the 1st arborvitae is at the top of this small hill and the last arb in the line comes down hill and is even with the front of our house (this occurs on both sides).

When these were planted under warranty by the Nursery, they kept the burlap on the rootball and didn't place any water in the hole.

They told me that the East side was very rocky and hard to find a whole to plant them in. The west side was much better.

Since that time the following has occurred:

In about August 3 arbs died on the West side near the eavesment (North part on top of hill). They were replaced under warrany and I planted them w/out the burlap and placed water in hole. They are still alive.

Now I have 1 more near the same location dead.

But NOW almost all the arbs on the EAST side are showing signs of dying and 2 are dead. We thought about it being too dry and acid levels, but noticed how clumpy and clay-like the soil looked on the roots when checking them.

Our action plan is this: It seems like the arbs on the east side are getting too much water or are not draining well. (Our neighbor put up a high privacy fence on that side in mid august for his new pool). The plants accerated their deprivation after that time. We are going to place some kind of organic potting soil in the hole after removing all the burlap in hopes of keeping the arbs on the east side through the winter while under warranty.

Does this sound like the right action plan?

Comments (7)