SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tentman

Greenhouse film on stoophouse in summer?

tentman
15 years ago

Please pardon this long post. There will be a few questions at the end of it... :)

I'm in the Albany, NY area - zone 5. MAJOR changes this year to my 32' x 24' garden - nearby trees coming down, new fence, switching to square foot gardening in raised beds with essentially greenhouse soil --- AND a greenhouse (or two) IN the garden for year-round growing.

In the garden, I'm going to build a 20' x 11' raised bed with 2x10's. That will be the base of the greenhouse. That frame with then be subdivided with two more 2x10 rows to create a 3' x 20' pathway down the middle, thereby forming a 4' x 20' raised bed on each side. (4' bed left, 3' walkway center, 4' bed right = 11 feet total width, 20 feet long).

I plan to cover that whole thing with a stoophouse, using 20' rebars bent and curved in the 11' direction, anchored to the inside of the 2 x 10's on the long side. Because of our snow load here, I will use a 2' spacing on the bent rebars hoops, instead of the usual 4' spacing.

I'll also run perpendicular 20' rebars wired to the underside the hooped bars to provide rigidity and a gridwork of support for the greenhouse film I'll use. I'll add a few interior wood columns in the center path to the peak to insure it won't collapse under wet snow. A thermostatically controlled ventilation fan will be included.

My goal - to grow seasonal vegetables in the 4' beds year round for my family. I'm not planning to heat it, although I may use a small electric heater at key times. In the colder weather, I will grow hardy crops, with additional row covers and blankets when needed. I would also like to extend the seasons for the warm weather crops so that I can get earlier and later summer produce. Looking for minimal electrical usage and relatively cheap construction.

My original plan - take down the film in the warm weather and just leave the rebar shell in place.

My new plan - leave the film over the top, for protection from thunderstorms, downpours, hail etc., but remove both ends completely for the warm weather months - an open ended tunnel about 7' high.

I'm also designing so that I can roll up the film a foot or two on the two long sides so that there would be ventilation on those sides as well. I work from home, and am typically around, so I could usually drop the sides if a storm was coming. (Also thinking of a way to collect the rainwater from the film for watering.)

Questions - Is that a bad idea - leaving the film over the top in the summer? Will it still get too hot under there to grow summer vegetables in the raised beds? FYI, each summer, we usually get a few hot sunny days in the 90's, but it's normally in the 70's and 80's because it gets partly cloudy by most afternoons. It seems to me that if both ends are open, and the side flaps are up, it should be ok, but I could be wrong.

And, any other problems you can see? All comments and thoughts about anything above are welcome....

Comments (11)

• ekgrows
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think you are on the right track. Keeping the film up will protect your plants from adverse weather. Last season we had so much rain that all of our outside tomatoes suffered with disease, not to mention a lot of the fruits cracked. The tomatoes in the high tunnel did great.

You shouldn't need to drop the sides at all during the season, just late in the season when cold threatens. It shouldn't get too hot with the ends off and the sides raised. We did have an exhaust type fan stationed at the end of the house for the really hot days, and would occasionally leave that on. I would suggest soaker hoses or drip tape in your beds - the soil will get dry fast.

• bcfromfl
    15 years ago

What sort of film are you thinking of using? Make sure it's UV, preferably reinforced. I'm wondering if you're underestimating the loads your film will have to withstand?

Since you're building your frame out of rebar, you won't be able to secure the film against it. You'll have to run ropes over the top, which will be a pain to remove and readjust if you plan to roll up the plastic, then roll down again. A light wind could rip the whole kit-and-kaboodle free and send it into the next county. Plus, unless you cover the rebar with something soft and durable, you'll have rubbing/wearing issues to contend with. Rebar is rough in texture, unlike the hoops normally used for gh's. Finally, I'm not confident that ordinary film can support snow and ice on two-foot spans.

I think you'd go through the same amount of effort to build a wooden structure, that would avoid some of the problems rebar will give you. You could staple most of the film down, leaving areas you could open for venting purposes if necessary.

One other thing: I'm not sure you could attach the ends of the rebar adequately against the 2x10s to survive the astronomical lateral forces you'll get when the wind blows against the structure. What sort of hardware would you use? Aluminum/steel hoophouses use forged attachment points.

BTW, I'm originally from the Utica area, and know what sort of weather considerations you have.

-Bruce

• Related Discussions

Greenhouse temperature control: big problem

Q

Comments (5)
    South Texas is very hot country for a greenhouse. To make it useable you will need an evaporative cooling system and shade cloth like 40-50% aluminet. I guess my question is what are you growing that needs a greenhouse? I can see a structure to avoid freezes in winter. But what needs covering in summer? I'm growing all kinds of fruit in a greenhouse in west TX at 4500ft elevation. So we're much cooler and lower humidity. This makes a useable greenhouse but only with evaporative cooling, wet wall opposite exhaust fans, and shade cloth. In your climate the best greenhouse will still be 100F in summer and freezing in winter. Mine 32ftx54ftx16ft and covered with inflated double poly still falls to outside temperature at night unless heated. Mine benefits from covering in summer because our rainy season would rot the stone fruits. It also excludes hail, wind, birds, etc.
    ...See More

evolving simple hoop greenhouse

Q

Comments (2)
    It appears you have given much thought to this process and you will have a sound investment for the future that has potential to pay for itself in a few years. I'll only add some comments from my experiences that might help. My first quonset type greenhouse had the standard 6 mil greenhouse film that lasted 14 years until I no longer trusted it. In a larger arched structure my PVC pipe (holding electric wires) came in contact with new film and ruined it the first summer. Other "Use" wear or "Weather freaks" have caused minor damage so that after 4-5 years I wanted a new skin even though I could have patched. Snow loads and hail can ruin any structure overnight. If you are planning to extend your growing season to 10 months forget the water banks. You'll need to provide heat and possibly light if you want crops actively growing during cold weather. The cheapest heat source I can recommend is a wood stove. I need to restoke mine now. Happy Greenhousing.
    ...See More

removing greenhouse plastic for the summer

Q

Comments (6)
    Emphasis should be placed on the "Ware & Tare" comment by Fruitnut. You likely will do more harm removing and reinstalling GH grade film than just leaving it attached. In reality mine is on much longer than 4 years, 6-10 is more reasonable and it does get more brittle in latter years so when it is removed that is pretty much the life of it. Furthermore to add to what Fruitnut mentioned about removing for the winter if you do remove it the window of opportunity to reinstall it is not always good. To start plants early there may be 3 ft of packed snow laying on the sides of my greenhouses when I start plants in March. In your case removal for the summer just adds to a busy spring schedule. Consider higher rollup sides or even ridge ventilators in addition to the shade cloth mentioned.
    ...See More

Double film blower question

Q

Comments (7)
    No, I don't think it would be practical. First, there is a greater chance of shortening the life of the blower motor. Also, I doubt that you will benefit by blowing warmer air into the cavity between films. All that you really are trying to achieve by inflating the cavity is to provide an insulation barrier. If you need warmth inside the greenhouse then try to utilize those BTUs as close to your plants as feasible. There are exceptions. If a heavy snow is falling it may be desirable to keep it melted off the outer layer to prevent buildup. However Ifind that just keeping the film inflated causes snow to slide off much sooner than with an uninflated film. Also you can just crankup the heat inside to accomplish the same melting effect. You didn't mention what type heater you are considering using. Electric is more reliable but far more costly. What is your primary purpose intended for that heater? If your inflation fan were mounted behind a large furnace (as a convenient location) I see no problem with that since I'm basically doing the same in one of my structures. Just be sure that the electric wires and motor remains cool. If you are just trying to heat the air going into the air cavity then I would avoid it altogether.
    ...See More
  • tentman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ekgrows, thanks for the comments. We also had garden damage last year due to extreme weather, so the idea of having a cover in place all the time is very appealing to me. As you point out, the price I'll pay for that coverage is that I'll need to be more generous and diligent with the watering. But my biggest concern was that it might get too hot in there, and your comments indicate you think it will be manageable, which is reassuring.

• tentman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bruce, great points. You've hit on some that have crossed my mind before, so let me tell you what I was thinking.

I was going to use 21' 4 year 6 mil CLEAR Greenhouse Film from Growerssolution.com. I was going to be putting the rebar at 2' centers, but I was also going to be running rebars longitudinally under the hoop bars at about 2' centers as well, at least on the upper, more horizontal part when the snow will tend to sit until I can get it off. That means that the film would be supported in both directions on a 2' x 2' grid. It seems to me that the film should readily hold that weight, and I'm confident I can shore up the middle of the greenhouse so that the frame won't collapse.

The roughness of the rebar is an issue that I knew I would have to deal with. I am definitely going to have to cover it with something, and I'm not sure yet what that will be. One thought is the kind of foam wrap that you find used on some packaging. It's usually white and comes in rolls. It will be a bit tedious putting it on and taping it, but I should only have to do it once. I thought of 1/2 pipe insulation, but that seems too thick and expensive. Any suggestions for another material?

As for securing the film, my plan is to secure all the edges with a wood battens. I've seen pictures and details of that being done in book The 12 Month Gardener by Jeff Ashton. The ends will have wood framing, so I can secure them easily with staples and battens. The sides will be a lot more interesting, since I'm planning a way to be able roll up the sides a bit in warm weather. I don't have that fully detailed yet, but it will involve a 20' 2x4 secured to the rebar hoops about 16" up from the bottom, and the film will be secured to that 2x4 with staples and a wood batten. The bottom 16" on each side would be handled with a batten against the 2x10 frame in the cold weather, but perhaps weighted during the warmer weather so that it could be readily put up and down. Jeff also has a detail for that, although I'm sure I'll do something a bit different than his detail. Still thinking...

I don't think I'll need ropes, but maybe you have a strong point because of the open ends. When it's close in the winter, the force of the wind is from the outside blowing against the rebar frame, but in the summer with the open ends, the wind can blow in and push outward on the opposite side. Hmmm, I'll have to think about that one. A few ropes over the top may be needed at a minimum. Good point. Fortunately, although it's plenty windy in our area, my garden location is somewhat sheltered.

That said, I don't think the wind load against the outside frame will be that enormous. I am thinking of using pieces of 1/2" emt conduit to attach the rebars to the frame. I'll drive the conduit a foot of so into the ground on the inside edge of the 2x10 at each rebar location, and anchor it to the frame with emt anchors. Then the rebars will slide down inside the emt. I'm also going to set the 2x10's on the 20' sides at a small angle, like 10 degrees, pointed toward the middle of the greenhouse so that the rebar starts out already heading in the right direction, instead of pointing straight up into the air.

Great points. Does any that make sense to you?

• crabbcat
    15 years ago

Cover your rebar with old rubber water hose....or cheap new water hose. Thats what i have on my small rebar tunnel. Also keeps the rust down.

• bcfromfl
    15 years ago

Sounds like you've really thought this project out thoroughly! I think I follow what you have planned.

The main criticism I have is with the 6-mil film you plan to use. Having used 6-mil myself for several years before arriving at the product I use now, I can say that it's flimsy and easily prone to tearing. Commercial gh's that use inflated film covering will use 11-mil on the exterior, and, if they're trying to cut costs, will use the 6-mil on the inside because it doesn't require as much durability.

By attaching your film just on the edges of the structure, you'll be asking for trouble. 6-mil stretches, and no matter how tight you pull it, it'll still flap in the wind. Also, with so much potential force focused on a single attachment point along the edge, it'll be prone to pulling free...unless you somehow roll it a couple times around something to evenly-distribute the force.

The problem with the wind blowing over it is the element of "lift." Depending upon the wind direction, even with the ends open, the covering will alternately want to rise, then snap back down against the frame. A few hours of windy conditions is all you could ask of 6-mil.

Even though the cost is higher, I'd highly recommend the 5.2-ounce translucent tarp linked below. It's 12-mil, and has a woven fabric of fibreglas "tapes" inside the plastic for strength. It's like iron, doesn't stretch, and can withstand just about anything you throw at it. Since it's stronger, and heavier, you'll have less of an issue with it tearing free from attachment points. You also may be able to get away with wider spans, saving you on some rebar. Another plus is the light diffusion through it -- no possibility of burning tender plants/seedlings.

I'd have much greater confidence in this material meeting your needs, only attaching it along the edges.

The one weakness as I see it for your application is that the largest width available is twelve feet. FarmTek has two products that would be suitable for this purpose. The first one is their Super Tape Seaming & Repair Tape, which is $22.95 for a 3"x60' roll, or $32.95 for a 6"x60' roll. The second is the Premium Repair Tape (product #105383), which is $71.95 for a 4"x100' roll. I'd feel safest sealing both the outside and inside edge, with a 6" overlap of the tarp.

Hope your idea for securing the framing against possible racking works OK. If it didn't for some reason, you could retrofit easily with a support line and stake on either end.

If you can find a good source for purchasing the wrapping material (to cover the rebar) you described in bulk, that's probably a good bet. I know FarmTek sells something for this purpose, but I'll be darned if I can find it now. The only thing I'd suggest is to use a good-quality tape. I know duct tape is a popular do-all, fix-all, but it performs miserably whenever moisture and heat are present! For this reason, you may want to consider a wire-wrap over the packing material, as an inexpensive material to tightly secure it.

Removing the covering in the summer will expose all your handiwork to the elements, so that's another thing to consider. All that work to wrap your rebar may not survive unprotected.

Hope there was something helpful here.

-Bruce

Here is a link that might be useful: 5.2-ounce fabric at FarmTek

• tentman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bruce, I _HAVE_ done a lot of thinking about it, but despite that, you've pointed out a fatal flaw in my plan - the film.

I know a great deal about wood, rebars and building things (was a homebuilder for 15 years) but I know nothing about greenhouse film and growing in a greenhouse environment. I clearly thought that the greenhouse film I had figured to use - 6 mil CLEAR Greenhouse Film from Growerssolution.com - would do the job because it was "greenhouse film" after all, which the website reports is good for at least 4 years. But I had no experience with it, and experience is what counts.

It sounds like that would have been a pretty bad move, since I definitely want it to last more than "a few hours in windy conditions", as you put it.

So, now I'm planning to upgrade to the 5.2-ounce translucent tarp you called out. The product page calls it clear, but I assume it's really more translucent than clear.

To cover, I need a piece about 21' square. I'm thinking I will join the two pieces as you described with a 6" double taped overlap and then run that seam up and over the greenhouse halfway down the length, rather than run the seam down the middle at that ridge.

I agree with your tape comments about holding the wrapping material on the rebars. I had thought of that, and also realized that the need for wrapping them precluded removing the film in the summer. It will be tedious to wrap it all once, but absurd to do that every year.

What is the "wire wrap" that you mentioned for securing the material? Is that an actual product, or you just saying to use thin wire to spiral around it?

Bruce, thanks for all your input. You may have saved the day...

• bcfromfl
    15 years ago

Glad that I've been able to help think through your project a little. There are a lot of smart folks on this Forum, although most have standard hoophouses or prefab gh's with polycarbonate panels. I'm one of the few who have experimented with a few different materials over the years in an effort to have a successful Rube Goldberg structure "on the cheap," and have worked out most of the kinks, so to speak!

Just to clarify a bit -- the 6-mil works fine for a standard do-it-yourself design when there are battens and multiple attachment points. IMHO, four years would be EXTREMELY optimistic, but under perfect conditions, it has a reasonable lifespan. Since you have experience homebuilding, you're familiar with the 6-mil construction film. This is the identical thickness (although with added UV inhibitors), so, you can imagine how a 20-foot wide piece would fare out in the sun and wind. The problem would be adapting the 6-mil to your unique design requirements. Errant hand pressure can cause 6-mil to tear through a staple.

I have never seen the exact 6-mil material that GrowersSolution is selling, but oftentimes when manufacturers call their product "clear," it's really translucent. I've seen 4-mil film I could call clear, but you would never use that stuff (seriously, anyway) on a gh. But let's say that the 6-mil material you were considering is *reasonably* clear, and transmits 85-90% light. (90% would be high, and I doubt it's that clear.) By comparison, I would estimate that the 5.2-ounce fabric I recommended would be in the 75-80% range. I grow orchids, so this is plenty of light...even requiring further shading for sensitive species. I've never grown vegetables inside my gh, so I can't offer any experience in that respect. They may, and probably will, do just fine with 80% light, but I can't say for certain. Watermelons might be a different story. Everything's a compromise...

As an alternative to the rather expensive seaming tape, if you have to make a minor repair, I can offer a cheaper solution. A couple years ago I had a local kid start to vandalize my gh with a knife, then thought better of it after leaving an 18" slice in the fabric. After a lot of grumbling and cursing (!), I cut a 20" strip of scrap fabric, smeared Goop over the cut, and pressed the strip on top. Then I went on the inside and placed my hands on the cut for support, and had my wife work at it from the outside to squeeze it down firmly. It's lasted well, although if it was at a place where there was constant flexing, or additional strength required, it may not do quite as well.

FarmTek is a great company, and they have always been fantastic in sending sample materials on request. If you'd like a piece before you make a final decision, give them a call. Or, send me a message with your address, and I'd be happy to send a piece from my scrap pile. (I save everything!)

As far as wrapping the material around your rebar, all I meant was a thin-gauge wire to secure it.

-Bruce

• tentman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bruce, thanks for the insights and the sample offer. Your comments are making me think. I certainly have used 6 mil poly and know it's limitations. Somehow, I was thinking THIS 6 mil poly was different - actually, I based that assumption on what I saw on their website. Here is what they say on the Grower's Solution website (I put the link below):
    ------
    This tough polyethylene unfolds easily, installs quickly, and stands up to 4 years of UV bombardment. This Greenhouse Plastic is as good as it gets! These plastics/films are made from the toughest polyethylene resin in the business, on a machine that stretches it out and makes it thin. Many people used to buy Brand Visqueen in Plastic. This has taken its place.

Because of production methods that produce this thin, yet durable polyethylene resin, greenhouse plants benefit from optimum light transmission for optimum plant growth. Infra-red additives helps to maintain a more stable greenhouse environment and reduces heat loss.

Increase the life of your greenhouse film by cleaning it with soap and water every six months. Greenhouse Plastic has a 4 year guarantee, but I have known growers to get up to 8 years out of their greenhouse film!
    * 4 year, 6 mil
    * Clear plastic
    * UV Treated
    * 91% Light Transmission
    -------------

So they're making pretty impressive claims, but if it isn't any tougher then regular 6 mil poly, then you are absolutely correct. Notice they say 91% light transmission, so it is quite clear.

With that in mind, I think I'm going to contact them to see what they say about my case, where I don't have battens to keep the material from flapping. I'll be curious to see if they still say it's tough enough, or if they'll suggest that I secure it with ropes, as you suggested early on. From a strength point of view, I sure feel better about your 12 mil product, although I hate having to seam it.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grower's Solution website

• tentman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wrote to Grower's Solution today and got a very quick reply with a name and phone number to call. I called and talked to Roger Fisk who told me that virtually all their greenhouses are like mine ie only secured around the perimeter. Roger assured me that his film material would hold up just fine, but that I should definitely be using 2 3/4" wind strapping to go over the top of the structure to secure it against wind flapping. He pointed to a picture on their site and I've included the link below.

I also found a site that gave a great deal of information about building a stoop house with rebar. It can be found at http://www.northerngreenhouse.com/ideas/how_to/rebar.htm

On the same site, I found a nifty product for securing film to a structure without putting holes in the film, providing continuous anchorage. Called Polyfastener PR-800, it's a 2 part plastic that allows the film to be held firmly, but can be released at any time with a hooked tool, so that you can remove the film or tighten it up. You screw this continuous plastic channel to your structure, stretch the film across it, and use the tool to force the second member in place, securing the film. It can also be used to splice film. It also bends, so you can use it on the endwalls. It's not cheap, but it looks very, very handy.

I hope that might help someone else looking for a way to secure their film.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wind stapping on greenhouse

• bcfromfl
    15 years ago

Glad you were able to find the right product to make the 6-mil work for you!

-Bruce