SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimigunne98

Greenhouse temperature control: big problem

jimigunne98
11 years ago

I am in S. Texas, zone 9A. I built a greenhouse , about 7 ft. wide and 20 ft. long, out of arched cattle panels, covered with clear film, abt 5 mil. It has been very disappointing. In the summer I have to cover the greenhouse with an opaque tarp that covers all but the bottom foot on each side (but not the ends), and run a high-speed fan sucking air in through the end-window and out the open door at the other end. Yet it still gets very hot. It is so efficient at trapping solar energy that it easily gets up to 115 deg. (when actual air temp is abt. 100 deg.) even with the tarp, if there is not a very high air current flowing through it.
This of course cuts way down on the light available for the plants. In the summer, I think it is still too hot in the afternoon on sunny days for most plants even with the high-speed fan and the shade tarp.
In the winter, when the shade tarp is removed, it gets borderline too hot in the afternoon. So on some warmer winter days the tarp has to go back on . And on very cold nights, even with the tarp left on, the plants might as well be outside without heaters.....so I have to run a 1500 W heater or two with the greenhouse all closed up to prevent a freeze. All in all, this makes the greenhouse of limited use, and uses lots of electricity, not to mention constant vigilance to keep the temp within a good range for the plants. Is there some better design, some solution? Is it maybe the small size of the greenhouse that is making it hard to keep temps at acceptable level?

Comments (5)