SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jim_w_ny

Sudden death for roses?

jim_w_ny
16 years ago

Yesterday I pruned American Pillar looking for some sign of life. Not a new bud in sight. So I lopped off the main cane near the ground and sure enough it was brown and dead. Now I knew from last year that it was sickly perhaps dead but didn't know for sure. It bloomed very well last year attracting attention from passing cars as it is, was, prominently set against a wall of the house toward the road.

Now this is not the first rose that has just like that went from life to death. A few years ago I had a Rugelda, a hybrid rugosa from Kordes with wonderful yellow tinged red flowers that bloomed profusely on a vibrant fully foliaged shrub. Next spring it was gone. But not showing winter killed canes but all of it dead. And winter wasn't that hard and other roses were fine.

Lately on my post about giving up on roses, a couple of posters mentioned watering. And as I think about that maybe that is what happened. I've never thought that in this area of frequent rains nor with other roses unaffected by periods when it didn't rain, that a rose could conk out by a lack of watering during those times. I guess it has to do with development of the root system which varies with the variety or maybe something to do with the planting, soil, etc.

And then we have the matter of how to check when a rose might be in need of water. Roses don't wilt or show other obvious signs of water stress. How about moisture meters? Not really good to check beyond the length of the probe. Keeping track of rainfall with a rain gauge? What is your method?

Comments (11)