SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momdino

Soil Test Kits

momdino
16 years ago

How accurate are they? A little background: We bought our house in summer of 2006 from an environmental engineer who was very much into organic gardening. There was a vegetable plot about 50' x 20' in the back that he constructed about 5 or 6 years before he sold us the house. He told us he never used any chemicals, always organic. In spring of 2007, we converted the plot to 6 raised beds, using the existing soil, which looked fairly good although had a lot of clay, and adding bagged compost from Lowes and pine bark fines as amendments. At that time we did not think to do a soil test. We grew tomatoes, cukes, squash, potatoes, peas, beans, sweet potatoes, and herbs. The garden produced, but not particularly well.

This year, after turning the soil, I bought one of those Ferry-Morse kits and followed the directions completely. Bottom line: my soil is slightly on the alkaline side, okay in potassium, but "very low" in nitrogen and phosphorus. I was pretty surprised at this, but guess it may help explain the not so great production. So I know I need to add sulphur to get the pH down some, but what else should I add and still stay organic? Sorry for the long post, but thanks in advance for any imput from you experts.

Comments (7)