SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nichols_gw

Hoophouse

nichols
19 years ago

Here is one I built last November using instructions provided by another forum member. I don't remember the user name but she lived in Edmund, OK I believe. She referred to it as a "hoophouse" This one is built using 16' long wire cattle panels that are 52" wide. The wood frame measures 9' wide and about 23' long. Length is variable, according to the number of panels used. Height is determined by width of the box. This one is about 5'10" in the center. The cover is 6 mil plastic sheeting. Ends are built using scrap plywood, an old window for door, and an aluminum window I had.

{{gwi:290703}}

{{gwi:290704}}

The door faces the south which has helped with ventilation on hot days. So far, I've not needed a fan for ventilation as we usually have southerly winds in this area.

{{gwi:290705}}

View of North end.

{{gwi:290706}}

Inside view showing my geraniums and hibiscus plants and cuttings. My tomato "bush" has tomatos but they have not ripened yet. I started with one "Little Giant" electric heater with thermostat mfd. by Honeywell. The third was added for safety when we experienced a 72 hour period with below freezing temperatures. Lowest temp so far was 12 degrees outside and 45.7 degrees on the inside. Strongest wind was in the 50 mph range.

{{gwi:290707}}

This photo shows how I connected the ends to the wire panels using j-bolts which required some modification so they would be long enough. Pipe insulation over the panel ends protects the plastic and seals the ends. This thing is very stout so I'm not worried about the wind damaging the structure anymore. If the plastic can survive another 6 weeks or so, it's mission will be accomplished.

This is my first experience with a greenhouse. It's been enjoyable working in the garden when it's 12 degrees outside.

The panels were $17.00 each. Heaters $27.00 each at Walmart. Plastic was $45.00 at Home Depot with enough left over for 3 more covers. I think it would be possible to build one of these using 1 panel for those with limited space.

Comments (14)