SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheaviance1

Compost Newbie with a question

sheaviance1
14 years ago

I am fairly new, but hooked, to gardening. I have had three very successful years in my vegetable garden, and I am becoming quite an addict. I think it is natural that composting follows gardening fairly quickly. I had to delay the start of my composting efforts when my Mom fell ill. She battled an eight year battle with lung cancer which ended in May of last year. Needless to say, composting fell by the wayside. Last month, i purchased a used Mantis twin compost tumbler and promptly filled it with leaves, cow manure, coffee grounds, straw, garden soil, veggie peels, a plant that committed suicide, etc. I moistened it well, tumbled it and started filling the other chamber. That was pretty close to the beginning of January. I have checked it every couple of days, and it is finally beginning to heat up some. I plan to create two more standard pallet bins this weekend. Is it the time of year that I am starting that has things off to a slow start? Is there anything that I can do to speed up the heating process? I have access to an unlimited supply of horse manure and bedding, but we have been too wet here to get to it lately. Any advice would be more than welcome.

Thank you!!!!

Comments (11)