SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenpet

Having a difficult time understanding fertilizing plants...

gardenpet
19 years ago

Hello all, first, if this is the wrong forum to post this question, I apologize. I searched the different available forums and this seemed like it would be the best one.

My questions are regarding fertilizing/feeding plants. I would like to stop buying bottled tomato and plant foods. I want to use my own resources, but since I garden without the benefit of a plot of land, I'm a little confused. I know a lot of people rely on what their yard compost piles produce, and since I don't have one...

I will soon have a worm bin though, and I also have fish aquariums from which to gather used water. I have heard that both of those can be very useful in the home garden. Would they be enough though? To provide my container plants-I grow vegetables, fruits, herbs, houseplants, and flowers-with the nutrients they need and desire?

I think, what I need, is to understand fertilizing better. I know, for example, that cucumbers need food, but its hard for me to know exactly what. A lot of sites and books reference specific chemicals and don't go into detail on what the plant actually needs. Or what you could give them that would fulfill that need.

Has anyone read a book or seen a site that they would specifically recommend? Or does anyone have any tips for me? Keywords to search for would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I thank you all for reading this and I look forward to your responses.

Have a terrific day :)

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus