SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
burra_maluca

Oyster mushrooms!

burra_maluca
15 years ago

I was happily shoveling out half rotted compost to mulch an area for my pumpkin patch yesterday when I found a load of oyster mushrooms growing in the back corner. Unfortunately I'd scattered half-rotted donkey poop all over them before I'd noticed them so I'm not really prepared to eat them, but the problem is, what shall I do next?

I immediately stopped removing the compost and decided that I'd like to cultivate the mushrooms somehow, and I think the best thing to do is to try to replicate the conditions in my compost heap in another area of the garden and transfer a load of the compost there, including as much of the mushroom fruiting bodies and mycelium as possible. I've chosen a nice site against a wall and shaded by pine trees and wild lavender, and I'm going to put 'fresh' compost (donkey poop, straw and wood shavings from the stable, which is what the original heap was made from) in a small heap, then heap the 'old' innoculated stuff over and next to it, and 'plant' the clusters of mushrooms on the top, maybe shaded with fresh straw.

What do you guys think? Is it likely to work? Has anyone else tried doing anything like this?

Comment (1)