SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patricianat

My silly of the day...

patricianat
17 years ago

We were out in the garden Monday tying up climbers and still finding frozen canes that were rubbery like canes that needed prune, and removing them as we found them. It seems it never ends. I saw a long flexible cane coming from Maggie that looked strange as I was inspecting her to see if she had any freeze-damage canes. First thought was "root stock" and then I thought, "no, Maggie's own-root, so it cannot be." Then it just sickened me at my next thought, tiny leaves, a curled up kind of limp like bloom about to form. I was petrified. I knew it. More RRD. I called to my husband to bring the shovel quickly.

He brought it, thinking I had found a snake that needed chopping up or worse yet that I was going to chop up his dog for digging holes, but he brought it and said, "What are you going to do?"

I told him we had to take Maggie out and destroy her. He said, "I thought you liked her. I like her, let's don't dig her up, dig up that Mutabalis, I can't stand it." I told him, "No, look, it has Rose Rosette Disease." He said, "Where, I don't see it?"

I showed him the long tendrils that were lax and had tiny leaves. He laughed and said, "You are about to dig up some clematis that I planted there last fall and they are about to bloom." Oh, relief. If I had been alone, poor Maggie and the clematis might have been in garbage bags soon. I admit I need to wear my glasses in the garden, but they just get so fogged up. LOL.

Comments (11)