SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtslinger2

Four season veggies in cold climates. Brainstorming

dirtslinger2
12 years ago

It seems people are always looking for a way to extend their growing season with the least amount (or no) electricity. I am reading Eliot Coleman's Winter Harvest Handbook. Great ideas and fantastic book but being a commercial operation he isn't thinking outside of the box as much as I had hoped. Experimentation is expensive when you're running an actual business!

I was wondering if there was a general consensus on at least why TYPE of GH to get things rolling?

I'd think in an ideal world, it would be a "solar greenhouse" built into the ground, but it's just not practical here.

I have been researching the heck out of cold frames (aprox 20' x 40'), value is fantastic, double walled seemingly of benefit(Coleman seems to disagree)- as well there are tiny fans for between walls that can supposedly be run by solar.

But on cloudy days there is no heat and temps plummet! Around here that could be several weeks at a time.

Has anyone tried putting small (unheated) ponds inside? Any luck keeping them thawed by simply the ground temps plus solar gain during sunny days?

There's the black barrels/jugs as well. Any other methods you've tried or heard about?

Just trying to brainstorm options here. Hoping for a fairly large GH to grow veggies as close to year round as possible- not to mention throwing in some perennial veggies to get an early start on the earlies such as asparagus!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer