SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianega

Anyone doing Four Season veggie gardening?

DianeGA
14 years ago

Hi! I posted this on the Four Season Gardening page, but thought I'd check with you guys here, too.

I've never tried this before & was wondering if there are any websites that have some basic "how to" info on this. I'm hoping something along the lines of how Square Foot Gardening has a website with a lot of info (squarefootgardening.com). I know Eliot Coleman has a book, but my library doesn't carry it & I wanted to at least get a better idea of what this is like before I buy the book.

My garden faces South so it'll get plenty of sunshine. I won't have a greenhouse or big hoop-houses. I could do some small hoop tunnels as necessary.

Some of my questions (among many!) are:

- Which veggies can take some frost or even a light freeze without protection?

- Which need more protection (need covers even for light frost)?

- Can you plant new veggies during the winter or need to already have planted during the fall & just harvesting during the winter? Is it too late to put out some transplants now (I can still buy from nursery)? And can I even plant new seeds of cold-hardy veggies if I made a mini greenhouse under a clear box until they're a few inches tall?

- I think I read somewhere where floating row covers gave an extra 10 degrees or so of protection... is that true? or will it need plastic?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville