SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwoods34

cooling greenhouse

gwoods34 woods
10 years ago

Late last summer I finished a 15'x16'x10' high, wood framed, suntuf polyclad gh specifically for fruit trees. I live in Idaho; the wind & -30f winters make fruit trees, except apples, impossible. By October I had planted 2 peach, 1 apricot, 1 nectarine & a cherry tree in it. On 3 sides the bottom 4 ft is a removable panel. My intention was to remove the panels after frost concerns had passed each spring and then close it up for the winter. I was going use a kerosene heater to keep the chill off during the blossoming season & then only when there was a danger of below -10f freezes during the winter months.

My problem is I had no idea how hot the gh was going to get; even in the winter. It was 22f outside the other day and it was 68f in the gh. I soon realized that when it's 95 outside it'll be 120f plus inside. I have a 20" exhaust fan & an auto opening wall louver which won't even cool it off much in the winter.

I've got to get something figured out & built or the trees I've planted will be cooked by spring time.

I'm really interested about the thermal mass & heat sink & fogging systems I'm reading about but would really like some advise. I know I have to correct/add to the ventilation I have now but I'd also like to build in some sort of heat sink system. Has anyone in this forum made available readable plans for small greenhouses.

please; I have to get busy.

Comments (17)