SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thisismelissa

My new shrubs don't look so great

thisismelissa
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping you can offer me some good news. I live in the midwest and it's been rather hot here in MN, as it has been in most of the midwest. I'm having a first birthday party for my daughter in my yard in 2 1/2 weeks, so I'm really trying to get my yard in shape. Yes, I admit, it's rather late to be starting new garden, but it is what it is.

In the last week, I've planted a new mixed sun garden. It's a sandy loam on about a 25% incline and includes lots of shrubery. I transferred some dogwood, that I'll admit that I left in pots for way too long. Their leaves are sparce, but at least the leaves are "perky". However, I may replace them anyway.

I also planted 3 smokebush and they look fantastic.

My problem plants are Ninebark "Dart's Gold" and some Barberry "Rose Glow". They're all planted on that slope, and when I planted them, many of them were rootbound, so I sliced the rootball to open it up, plopped them in the hold and moved the soil back in. And of course, I watered them in well.

The barberry are pretty much shriveled up and the ninebark are part "green" part brown. Especially after missing watering yesterday, these shrubs look horrible.

I'll admit, for the site, I probably made some bad plant choices, being that I sorta wanted this to be fairly drought tolerant.

Is there any hope for this garden? If I can trim up the ninebark, I think I can keep them looking alright. But what of the barberry? Is there any hope of bringing them back?

Should I give up on these shrubs and replace them, or should I try and revive/rejuvinate? If the latter, how do I go about that?

TIA for your help.

Melissa

Comments (4)