SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yuliana_gw

Crazy idea - ducks + fish

yuliana
15 years ago

I have two big holes in the back of the property, each approximately size of an average swimming pool and about 10ft deep. There is only 1ft standing water on the bottom.

Got this from the internet:

Ducks are grown on ponds at a density of 300 to 600/acre. The ducks are generally raised in confinement, fed intensively, and allowed access to only a portion of the pond where they forage for natural foods and deposit their manure. Ducks that arc raised on ponds remain healthier than land-raised ducks. Also by raising ducks on ponds, feed wasted by the ducks is consumed directly by the fish. Since ducks reach marketable size in 10 to 11 weeks, staggered production cycles are needed to stabilize manure output. (http://www.thefishsite.com/articles/134/pond-culture-of-tilapia)

Of course not at a grand size like this article describes, but do you think it will work with my two "ponds"? Have anyone tried growing fish/duck combination?

The only problem, and a big one at that - how do I fill these ponds with water? If there is only a little standing water on the bottom, that means it is seeping. So I will have to prevent seeping somehow.

Throw your ideas at me, please.

Comments (13)