SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
free_zucchini

Wildflower ID database???

free_zucchini
16 years ago

Hi all!

It just doesn't seem possible that a simple, guided-tour type of database query engine doesn't exist for helping us identify our flowers. I've looked now and then for years, including all morning today, but I can't find anything. I actually thought about writing one myself -- it's not that hard -- I just would have needed the data.

What I'm looking for is either a step-by-step helper that shows you photos of certain plant/flower characteristics, and you select those that you know, or answer "don't know". Or things like "does the flower have petals?" "How may petals" "What color are the petals?" "What shape are the petals?" How large?, pistil info, stamen info, sepal info, etc., etc. That would sure help narrow down searches. I have a library of field guides, but going through all those pictures -- no matter how well the guide is organized -- doesn't always help ID the flower. I have photographed hundreds and hundreds of species of wildflowers, and I'm trying once again to ID those hold-outs. I think there's too many of them to post them here.

So, does anybody know of a website that allows the user to enter the known data about a flowering plant and get a list of possible identifications? USDA was the right idea, but it's no help.

Thanks in advance,

Doug:)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!