SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lambeaufan71

raised pond construction help please

lambeaufan71
15 years ago

I'm planning on having a raised pond completed by April/May or so. I'm more interested in a raised configuration because our stay in this house will not be long-term and I would like something that I would have the option of taking with me when we go.

I'm having some trouble deciding what materials I would like to use, and was wondering if anyone has any real-life experiences to share? I would really like to use the somewhat triangular-ish stones (my local Lowes carries the Castlewall type made by Old Castle), although they would be the priciest option. If my calculations are correct, I would need 200 or so of the 12" long x 4" high blocks @ $2.00/ea to make a 24" high 10' diameter circle. I also wonder if I would be pushing my luck by trusting a 6-block high configuration to handle the pressure without the aid of cement or mortar?

I'm also considering landscaping timbers, which seem like they would be a more economical option. I've also given thought to railroad ties or possibly 4"x4" or 4"x6" timbers.

My plan is to go 24" above ground and 6"-12" in ground. I've seen the large stock tanks that have been used as ponds, which would of course be one of the easiest options, but their looks don't really do it for me.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022