SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fossilnut

Stupid newbie questions.

fossilnut
18 years ago

Living in Florida, I've never even thought about having a greenhouse. But now that we're moving to NE Washington (map says zone 5 but rare extremes get to 40 below), I'm trying to figure out how best to continue gardening. I posted earlier and you suggested for a frugal greenhouse, doing a "hoop house" and I've been planning on doing so.

Stupid questions:

How does the use of a cold frame and a greenhouse differ? If all I wanted to do was get a head start on planting seeds, would a coldframe be adequate?

Would there be any problems with building a hoophouse on a fairly steep slope?

Will deer stay out of a hoophouse?

Our property is a narrow penninsula on Curlew Lake. I'd originally planned to protect my planned for garden from the deer by building a fence accross the penninsula but I've now been told that deer can swim and this fence might not do the job. Now I'm wondering if planting my garden in a hoophouse (all summer) rather than having an open garden, would be practical to keep the deer away. (We've got LOTS of mule deer!). Another option I'd considered was replacing the plastic covering with some netting if the weather got too hot. Not sure if the deer would just munch their way through that or not.

Thanks.

Sandy

Comments (3)