SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jodifromoregon

Stupid newbie corn questions

jodifromoregon
15 years ago

Okay, when it comes to my corn (first year), I'm a blithering idiot. So please be gentle with me.

I succession planted a block of 12 total stalks. The first 6 are nice and tall, tassels are formed and are now dropping little red "seed" looking things... is this the pollen, or...?

And, I don't honestly know if I have ears forming yet or not; what I do have are a few new growths that, to me, look like tillers/suckers... but they are nearer to the top of the stalks than the bottom. So are these tillers, or are they the corn ears forming? I'm not seeing any silks or anything forming within them so far, other than the fact that there are a couple earwigs hiding out in two of them (should I be grabbing my tweezers and pulling them out?).

I do see "silky" growths on the tallest stalks, right on the stalks opposite each leaf. I'm feeling very, very stupid, and please forgive my complete ignorance. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm going to have any ears of corn or not. I'd love to help my stalks out with some hand-pollinating if needed, but I guess I first need a bit of "Corn Anatomy 101" from you nice folks.

Thanks for any help!

Jodi the Newbie

Comments (10)