SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_ky6

How to prune holly?

laurie_ky6
12 years ago

I have some hollies I can't identify. If someone tells me how to post a picture, I'll do so. (I did read the instructions, but now that I am in the message box, it isn't clear what to do next.)

Sans photos, I can describe one of the hollies well enough to elicit some advice on pruning. Five years after planting the bush it is just under 6' tall. (I didn't plant it, or I would know what it is.) It has a very loose, open habit, with rope-like branches. At least half the branches have no leaves on the inner 12-18". Where the leaves start, they appear in clusters. The central stalk is about an inch and a half in diameter. The stalk and branches are light olive green. The leaves are an inch to an inch and a half in length, scalloped in the way many types of holly leaves are.

Most of my pruning experience involves bushes with leaves along the entire branch. So, I'd just cut above a leaf node. I can't do that on this holly. The leaves are at the end of the branches. The landscapers planted a few of these around my development, and the gardeners have just been shearing off the outer portions of the bushes and taking the top off the central stalk. Some of these hollies look hideous now - all ropey branches with few leaves. Mine looks better, but I don't know what to do with it. (I told the gardeners to leave it alone.)

Comments (13)