SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lethean46

a volunteer crabapple? which one?

lethean46
13 years ago

I was surprised to find this nice looking crabapple? Is it possible to identify it further? It was growing through a planted viburnum which we decided to remove because of its poor structure. The planted viburnum seemed to also be poorly sited because it blocked the deeper view of the adjacent woodland behind. I think the crabapple is nicely sited thanks to mother nature.

This is a close up look at the tree.

{{gwi:349992}}

This is the larger view of the same tree.

{{gwi:349993}}

There seems to be many small crabapple saplings on the hillside. Is that a problem? Should I group them together in one general area? There might be a pear tree in the right foreground? If so, we are removing all of those as we find them.

{{gwi:349994}}

We did remove a very big old crabapple from this area about 5 years ago. And I don't know if that one was a native crab or not. All of these might be the result of the old crabapple.

Again, from the picture of the larger view of the nice new crabapple - is it possible to narrow its identity some more? I haven't seen it bloom. It was really mostly hidden by the viburnum which has now been removed.

Thank you very much.

ML

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living