SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sara82lee

planted summer-blooming perennials already...

sara82lee
11 years ago

So my spring bulbs are out, a few blooming, and I think I got too over-eager....

A few days ago I decided to do some more planting, some summer blooming perennials that I've never tried before. Now I'm worried I put them in the ground too early, after I had some time to think it over. There are probably more than 200 bulbs/roots that I planted - peony, dahlia, caladium, crocosmia, rudbeckia, two kinds of oriental lilies, callas, begonias, a daylily that's purple. I also planted some spring ones - freesias. And, I planted some gladiolus last year that I'm now realizing maybe I should have dug up for the winter?

Did I just give them all a death sentence by planting them this early? It hasn't frosted since then, and the weather forecast which they have up until March 12, for whatever that's worth, has one day with a low of 29 and the rest of the days lows are well into the 30's, highs in the 50's and 60's. But who can predict the weather that far out anyway?

I think it would be nearly impossible to dig them all back up. Is there anything I can do? Will they probably be okay? Probably not be okay?

Thanks for any advice!

This post was edited by sara82lee on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 21:35

Comments (9)