SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danell_hiltz

Low Nitrogen - Use Ammonium Sulfate?

12 years ago

I read this in a Sunset Gardening book and am wondering if I should incorporate it but first some background information:

I have dense, heavy clay and want to plant trees, shrubs, perrennials. So 2 years ago I did a soil test. Ph was 7.75, Nitrogen Low, Phosphorus High, Potassium Low, Humus Low, Salts 45ppm, and Volatile Organic Content Then I brought in loads of compost and blood meal laying it on the top and planted a cover crop of rye, vetch, legumes and diakon radishes. When this got to be 4 feet high I pulled the larger radishes, cut everything down, put excess in composter then tilled everything else under. I waited a month or so then planted another cover crop and let it go dormant over the winter. I had another soil test done and it came back stating "nonomogeneous soil from basaltic clay to organic loam" Ph 7.03, Nitrogen Low, Phosphorus High, Potassium Medium, Humus Med/Low, Salts 47ppm, and Volatile Organic Content 7.8%

The recommendation was to install new forest loam topsoil to a depth of 4-6 inches. I did that and layed black plastic over it this past weekend to keep cover crop (and weeds)from growing through.

Now I'm wondering if I should pull the plastic and compost back and add the ammonium sulfate. What do you think?

Comments (13)