SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valray_gw

How would you move these rocks?

valray
17 years ago

I had a local farmer drop a couple of loads of rocks down by my new pond. Well, they've been sitting there for a year because I don't know how to move them (or where to put them, but I am posting that question on the Landscape Design forum if you have any thoughts).

There are about 8 in total: one that is 24x36x9", three that are 24x24x30" - ish and about 4 smaller. The larger ones are too heavy for one or two people to roll into position.

They are sitting on the top of the bank, and I'd like to position them on/in the bank and down in the pond bottom. The bank is about 4' tall. The water level rises and falls with the ground water levels. Currently there is very little water in the pond - about 8". It will start to rise again in November.

I thought we could maybe push/flip them into place using a mini-excavator. The local rent-all place said it was the wrong machine for the job and were afraid it might be damaged. I am afraid of tipping machine and all into the pond. They recommended a front-end loader but we wouldn't have much control of placement using a loader.

Then I thought of getting a local farmer to bring his tractor and chains. We could lift the rocks up by chains and lower them into position that way.

A problem is that there is not a lot of room to maneuvre in the space. So maybe I could enlist 3 or 4 big strong men (where do I get those again...?) to use crowbars and muscle to move them into position. But if the rocks roll into the bottom of the pond, we may need more than 3 or 4 men to roll them back up the bank.

I would really like to get this done asap before the water starts rising. Any suggestions?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!