SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vickster257

A novice seeks your help in overwintering pond

vickster257
16 years ago

Hi,

Currently, my fish are hiding underneath the pump huddled together and are not visible. I have been attempting to remove leaves and other debris from the pond water. My concern now is to preserve the aquatic plants which are on the shelf of the pond and some of them are quite heavy. Do I need to place the waterlilies at the bottom of the pond now; (they are the largest and heaviest and I don't know whether I can handle them or not) Can any of them remain on the shelf during the winter?

The pond is approximately 8 x 10 and contains almost 1000 gallons, 2 feet deep. There are 11 fish hiding and they have stopped feeding; the pond thermometer reads 50 degrees now. What is the next step to take as far as protecting the plants? As soon as the leaves are removed, I can then place the netting over the top of the pond.

What type of de-icer do I need for the amount of water contained in my pond? Remember I have no previous knowledge about any of this so please bear with me. Part of the winter, I may be away from home so I hope that any de-icer which is selected will not fail to do the job.

Must I remove the pump from the pond when the biofilter is turned off and taken indoors? Shall I not pay attention now to any algae which has formed? When do I stop testing the ph levels? Additionally, do I remove the netting prior to placing the de-icer in the water? There are so many questions which I have asked and have already read the FAQ's so if you can give me simplified instructions, I will be very grateful.

Comment (1)