SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alleycallie_gw

Mulch on slope? Novice gardener needs help

alleycallie
16 years ago

I am a new gardener who has never attempted to plant on a slope, but after falling while mowing mostly weeds on my west slope, last summer I killed the mess and left it fallow, ripe for more weeds, for lack of ideas and money and paranoia about doing the wrong thing!

I think I should describe the slope and then ask my mulching question--in case you guys out there have good plant suggestions for me. Please bear with what might seem to you old pros like silly questions!

First a digression to the location of the slope and what is planted there right now. BTW, I live in Kansas, limestone country, on the cusp of zones 5/6,.

Our house sits over two city lots. Running acorss the west side of the property is a city sidewalk, then comes about 4 feet of level ground which holds four old trees in the wide center section, then it drops rather steeply to the street. On each end are sunny areas. The slope from sidewalk to street is uniformly 14 feet deep.

The south end is 18x14 and planted in ornamental grasses. It is next to our driveway, and I'm not doing anything more there. The north sunny end is 14 feet deep and approximately 25 feet wide. It has gravely, sandy, bad soil except on the small level top area where it is passable.

The north corner ends in an intersection with a cross street, so I transplanted sedum (what we call everlasting in Kansas) around the curve. Above the everlasting, centered in the curve, is a street light pole, and I surrounded that last year with with transplanted liriope. Both overwintered well and take no care. Staggering down around the liriope I planted 6 Stella d'oro daylilies. On the level top I transplanted an ornamental grass into three plants in a triangle pattern. Below the grasses are 3 Little Spire sage plants. For now, the bottom part of this slope on this end just has weedblock because I don['t know what to do next.

On either side of this north end, I planted quite a bit of creeping phlox. Perhaps this is not too inventive, but time and $$ were of concern. I hope it survives!

FINALLY, mulch questions: A close inspection of a professionally landscaped slope in another community showed the use of netting to hold the mulch on the slope. The owner told me it was just black plastic netting that is used in vineyards to cover grapes. My cousin grows grapes, so I had a no-cost supply which I got yesterday.

# 1) I have used a lot of weedblock fabric around the grasses, phlox and sage. That surely has to come off because the mulch would slide down the fabric! However...

#2)Can I keep the fabric on the upper level part around the grasses and mulch over it?

#3) How closely can I mulch creeping phlox? It grows slowly... And if I start to plant vinca groundcover in the center sections, do I temporarily mulch around it to keep down weeds? Weed control is the problem for now. Even though sprayed well with Roundup earlier, they are starting to return. Trying to control weeds over this huge center section is a nightmare to me. It's also getting late to plant, isn't it? I need to use something like vince because the west sun does get on this slope intensely for about 3 hours this time of year, so I need something that also can tolerate some sun. Any other suggestions for faster growing growing groundcover?

I apologize for the length of this post, but am hoping some of you are sympathetic to a newby gardener with this dratted slope problem! Thanks for any replies.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor