SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canuckistani

Peat moss good for soil?

canuckistani
15 years ago

I've recently heard it has a very suppressive effect on beneficial soil organisms...which worries me as I use a lot of peat in my garden soil. Any opinions or info on this?

Comments (138)

• val_s
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Okay - first let me start off by saying that this post is NOT intended as a response to anyone.

I had never heard of coir until the recent posts on peat came up so I decided to do some research on the net. First I had to find out what it was LOL

Having done that, I did some further research and found a lot of pro-coir sites, mainly from the coir industry that of course wants you to buy their product, similarly to what some people have stated about the peat moss industry.

I did find a couple of interesting links that made me go hmmm? Now PLEASE before you bash my post, I did not go looking for these links to repute anyone's statement about peat versus coir. I merely wanted to educate myself about it and am posting these links to make a point (which will be at the end of my post).

From the Crop Physiology Laboratory at Utah State University:

Research: Coconut Coir Studies

The above link was an interesting read because it did some studies between peat and coir as it relates to a soil-less growing environment. At the bottom of the page there is a Read More link that will take you to a 10 page pdf file that goes more in depth on how they conducted the study and what plants they used.

From the How Products Are Made website:

How Coir is Made

I thought this was an interesting read because it tells you everything about coir. Background, history, manufacturing. One thing I found interesting was a section called Byproducts/Waste (scroll down the page). It talks about the water pollution that is generated by making coir, although they are trying to find treatment options.

My point in this post is whether you use peat or coir, there will always be good and bad posted about it. Use what you're comfortable using, do some research and decide what's best for you.

Val

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    15 years ago

Has anyone used coir outside of container plantings?

• Related Discussions

Peat Moss-How Much?

Q

Comments (4)
    No, peat moss is not required in any way. It is purely optional and, the debate on the political correctness of using it or not aside, many other organic amendments are better for the garden. You will find a number of current discussions on peat moss over on the Soil & Compost forum here. I have linked some of them for you below. Dave Here is a link that might be useful: Discussion: Peat moss good for the soil?
    ...See More

Can I grow corn in peat moss/soil mixture?

Q

Comments (19)
    It's an old thread but to get back to the subject. I have grown corn in unamended, clay which I didn't till in any manner I mowed the rough grass and poked holes in the clay and dropped a kernel down the hole. No weeding, no watering; in PA. The corn grew, it wasn't very health looking. It produced corn cobs, some stunted a little, some stunted a lot. But it grew edible corn. The variety was Country Gentleman. I saved seed and grew another crop the following year. I'm certain it would have been a better crop of corn if there was a little organic material to soften that raw clay, to retain a little more soil moisture.
    ...See More

American Arbovities yellowing and thinning

Q

Comments (4)
    hey i hope you understood... i was ONLY talking about berms for the replacements ... i was not suggesting you dig up the rest ... no conifer holds its needles forever.. INTERIOR browning in normal ... and increased by stress.. such as planting ... drought.. etc ... if one is going completely off color.. and you have many to compare to ... it is probably dead.. replace with the others ... be honest.. you really didnt except 100% success.. over a project this size??? ... did you??? black needles are usually a dog ... but could also be shipping damage ... track back to the stem with live growth .. or a number of stems.. and cut that part out ... it will fill in ... you are responsible for thorough and complete watering for this year.. and in drought next year ... they need to be damp thru the whole root mass you stuck in the ground.. and then allowed to NEARLY dry in between ... insert finger.. or dig small holes.. and find out how water is moving thru your soil.. i think that covers it all.. do NOT hesitate to ask any further questions .. and dont apologize in advance ... NEVER fert them .. IMHO ... if they are near a lawn that is fert'd.. they will get what they need ... and do you know what the root flare is.. and can you ID it on your plants??? and i already hit preview so i dont know where you are .. but the high heat of summer is not the best planting time .. but for superb aftercare ... you MIGHT want to do the replacement planting in the next PROPER planting season ... which for me in MI would be late sept or so ... but.. you have experience now.. and only a few to replace.. so you may be able to take care of them properly ... ken
    ...See More

Dry Soil with no water retention - Bad soil or peat moss? PLEASE HELP!

Q

Comments (22)
    The word of the day is "Let the buyer beware" . How many here would call someone and say "I want a new car. Get me one and I will pay you what you want"? Why do we do that with soil? So often we see here someone bought some soil and it was not what they wanted, or expected, because they relied on the seller to give them what they wanted and that happens seldom. Someone wanting to purchase soil needs to determine what they want and go and look for it., same as buying that car. Do not rely on someone's description of soil as "topsoil" (a meaningless term), or "garden soil" (also meaningless), but go and look at what is being sold. Look at the soil, smell the soil, feel the soil, ask for a one cup sample of the soil for testing as described in "Soil test for organic matter" above. A good soil mix for a garden is one with about 45 percent sand, 25 percent silt, 25 percent clay and 5 percent organic matter, soil some maintain is improbable to get. If we all demand that mix it will become available if those selling soil want to stay in business. If we, as buyers, demand quality we will get it. kimmq is kimmsr
    ...See More
  • annpat
    15 years ago

If any of you have concerns about global warming or the strip-mining of ancient natural resources for frivolous reasons, please consider doing some googling and deciding if you're comfortable using peat moss. If you are not concerned about those issues, don't bother.

I'm sure those who feel that mining peat bogs is harmless to the environment will also encourage you to research this on your own.

This debate has gone on for all the years that I have been on this and other gardening forums, and I think that each of us should decide A.) if certain issues that environmentalists are concerned about regarding peat mining would be of concern to you if the environmentalists are correct and B.) if researching the mining of peat reassures you that those concerns are baseless.

And, while you're googling, remember that many of us dismiss the findings of people who make their living from the peat industry.

And also remember that many of us don't feel that there is any need for peat in the garden that can't be met with other non-controversial amendments.

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

I specify coir netted erosion control blankets.

But for large scale soil amendments, we have a locally generated compost (Better Earth) that we can buy in bulk cheaply.

• cowgirl2
    15 years ago

If any of you have concerns about global warming or the strip-mining of ancient natural resources for frivolous reasons, please consider doing some googling and deciding if you're comfortable using peat moss. If you are not concerned about those issues, don't bother.

Global Warming / Climate Change is a red herring. The hypothesis that industrial activity has caused an increase in global temperatures is unproven. In fact it cannot be proven from first principles. All the alarm is from computer models that predict what may happen 50 or 100 years from now. Weather pedictions two weeks hence is not accurate. How can preditions so much futher into the future have any accuracy?

The CBC documentary is fairly balanced and is quite a departure for this public broadcaster. Usually they are very pro anthropogenic caused global warming. In fact I nearly soiled myself when I first saw this documentary.

• annpat
    15 years ago

"If you are not concerned about those issues, don't bother."

• val_s
    15 years ago

Cowgirl -

I couldn't watch your video. It just wouldn't buffer right for me and while I can't speak to Global Warming because I'm still on the fence about it, I always did have a hard time buying Al Gore.

Val

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

Good heavens, lets all run out and use peat moss because Al Gore has a big electric bill.

• val_s
    15 years ago

lets all run out and use peat moss

Sorry - don't use it unless it's already in my potting soil :-)

I can see my thread drift wasn't appreciated. I've just always found that article to be funny and it does go directly to what Lloyd was implying about people bleating. Al Gore IMO is the biggest bleater of all.

You should know by now that I can't stay on track or topic either for that matter LOL

Val

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

From Snopes:

A spokesperson for the Gore family responded by noting some mitigating factors, such as the fact that the Gores' Nashville residence isn't an "average" house it's about four times larger than the average new American home built in 2006, and it essentially functions as both a residence and a business office since both Al and Tipper work out of their home. The Tennessean also noted that the Gores had been paying a $432 per month premium on their monthly electricity bills in order to obtain some of their electricity from "green" sources (i.e., solar or other renewable energy sources). Other factors (such as the climate in the area where the home is located and its size) make the Gore home's energy usage comparable to that of other homes in the same area.

The former vice-president maintained that comparing raw energy-usage figures is misleading and that he leads what he advocates, a "carbon-neutral lifestyle," by purchasing energy from renewable energy sources such as solar, wind and methane gas to balance out the carbon emissions produced in generating the electricity his home uses:
    Kalee Kreider, a spokesperson for the Gores, pointed out that both Al and Tipper Gore work out of their home and she argued that "the bottom line is that every family has a different carbon footprint. And what Vice President Gore has asked is for families to calculate that footprint and take steps to reduce and offset it."

A carbon footprint is a calculation of the CO2 fossil fuel emissions each person is responsible for, either directly because of his or her transportation and energy consumption or indirectly because of the manufacture and eventual breakdown of products he or she uses.

The vice president has done that, Kreider argues, and the family tries to offset that carbon footprint by purchasing their power through the local Green Power Switch program electricity generated through renewable resources such as solar, wind, and methane gas, which create less waste and pollution. "In addition, they are in the midst of installing solar panels on their home, which will enable them to use less power," Kreider added. "They also use compact fluorescent bulbs and other energy efficiency measures and then they purchase offsets for their carbon emissions to bring their carbon footprint down to zero."
    Last updated: 28 February 2007

• val_s
    15 years ago

JPW -

You win! Al Gore's a great guy.

Val

PS - I still don't like him :-)

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

Composting is one part of reducing a carbon footprint! So all of us composters are taking steps towards a more carbon neutral lifestyle!

I wonder what the Gore family compost pile looks like?

• annpat
    15 years ago

I got your back, joepye.

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

I heart annpat!

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

I am resurrecting this thread, because I was reminded of it today.

I ran across an article from Ken Druse today. Ken Druse is a nationally known garden expert, award winning author etc. etc.

I have two of his "picture" books on my shelf at home. He has great photos of gardens that I love to look at. Books of his that I own are the Natural Shade Garden and the Natural Habitat Garden.

Anyway, he makes many of the same points about peat as was discussed on this thread.

Ken writes:

Peat moss is the partially decomposed remains of formerly living sphagnum moss from bogs. Because it's nearly impossible to rewet once it's dried, it repels water and makes a terrible surface mulch. As a soil amendment, which is what the baled product is mostly sold for, peat moss is also a poor choice. It breaks down too fast, compressing and squeezing air out of the soil, creating an unhealthy condition for plant roots. Peat moss can be a useful growing medium for containers, however, when lightened with a drainage material like perlite.

The biggest problem with peat moss is that it's environmentally bankrupt.

• Lloyd
    15 years ago

First, I've never heard of this person but that is not surprising since I don't garden.

But I do have a couple of observations;

Would printing numerous copies (thousands perhaps?) of his thirteen different books utilizing paper, cardboard, glue, ink etc, then shipping these books all over the country (maybe several countries for all I know) burning fossil fuels also be considered to be environmentally bankrupt?

I also see he travels a fair bit on the lecture circuit (I wonder what he charges?), I suppose he travels by environmentally friendly bicycle to avoid the fossil burning aircraft.

Do I hear bleating in the background?

Lloyd

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

Lloyd, are you changing your name to strawman?

I just posted the link because I like Ken Druse... and I thought other gardeners may know him and like him as well.

Of course, they may know Druse and hate him too.

• emmers_m
    15 years ago

Lloyd,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque

Your standards are a bit high for me. I hope that you, too, live your life in complete and unwavering consistancy with everything that you believe to be right or have the audacity to say you believe is right.

By the way, I very much admire your compost sifter.

• Lloyd
    15 years ago

Ah.

My mistake then, I thought it was a commentary on peat moss and it being environmentally bankrupt. I can't imagine what could have possibly given me that impression. My bad.

Lloyd

P.S. Call me what you like, I've been called worse.

• Lloyd
    15 years ago

Ad_hominem

Tu_quoque

There, now those are in nice clickable links for ya.

Thanks, I'm kinda proud of both of my sifters.

Lloyd

P.S. I have no standards, I burn way more than my share of fossil fuels.

• swanz
    15 years ago

Peat moss is great stuff. The only disadvantage I've experienced is having to buy it. I have very poor sand soil...I've tilled in lots of peat mixing in lime. All my veggies seem to love it.I know everyone says peat has no nutrients, but whatever it has my plants seem to thrive in it. I fertilize with the fish/seaweed emulsion.

• luckygal
    15 years ago

Maybe someone can explain why coir produced with water pollution as a side effect and shipped all the way from India is a good environmental choice.

I don't use either peat moss or coir, just asking.

• swanz
    15 years ago

coir is just an overpriced boutique alternative...Canadian bogs grow more peat each year than is harvested.. If I lived near one I'd rent a big dump truck and take advantage of it.

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

Totally amazing to me how the hackles of the pro peat moss people get raised when one suggests that peat moss is a non renewable resource and how they will insist that people who have a vested interest in selling that product are correct and many others only concerned about the environment and its destruction are wrong.
    Is open mountain coal mining wrong? According to the coal industry it is not and there is no envrionemental harm done and in fact when the finish peeling a mountain in West Virginia apart they but it back together just like it was before and plant the same plants on the now restored mountain. Many people that live there tell a different story. So who is right those with a vested interest in drinking clean water and not seeing the streams that flow through the mountains filled with rubble or those that mine the coal to sell so they can make money?
    For those that live in areas with lots of deciduous trees, do you spend your money on peat moss? If so why and what do you do with the renewable resource at hand every fall?
    Burn those leaves and cause more pollution? Pay someone to haul them away someplace where piled up they contribute to the pollution of the gound water?

• annpat
    15 years ago

If you don't respect peat bogs, which are ancient, and which cannot be "recreated", despite the industry's claims to the contrary, is there any unique environmental feature in the world that you do respect?

I have great respect for the geolopalent... (Oh, heck! What was that word?) I have great respect for the ancient soil in a bog, its features, the species that depend on it for survival, and I have great respect for the archeological history within peat bogs.

On what grounds do peat yea-sayers defend the mining of something so ancient for a "garden product" that is so unnecessary?

I mean this somewhat seriously, is there nothing sacred? Peat users should come out and admit it, if that is their position, "Yes. There is no square inch of ancient soil that I think should be protected. We can scrape it all down and sell it to home gardeners, of all people, then make some more."

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

I really didn't mean to start the entire debate all over again.

There were similarities to the Druse article to this thread and I thought I would share it.

There is no need to be offended or defend your use of peat to me or Mr. Druse.

My mistake then, I thought it was a commentary on peat moss and it being environmentally bankrupt. I can't imagine what could have possibly given me that impression. My bad.

That comment gives me the impression that you didn't even read the article. Yet, you somehow felt compelled to place your snarky anti-environmentalist comment. PUH-leez, perhaps you could read the article and then comment on that... if you don't have time to read the article, then don't make the time to comment.

• Lloyd
    15 years ago

***sigh***

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

I'm glad you took the time to sigh. 8-P

• Lloyd
    15 years ago

I couldn't waste a lot of my time. I'm home now....

Quote from me up thread:

"I have no intention of arguing over the sustainability of compost, peat, coir or any other such product. I have found that most (not all) people who bleat about sustainability are generally hypocrites and waste plenty of energy and resources on stuff that others would find wasteful. (much like the blender issue, to some it's a waste, to some it isn't, live with it)

It's a zero sum game trying to discuss it with an attitude that what someone else does is wasteful and what I do isn't. Given the time I can always find ways that I would consider a waste of something in anyones life.

If people enjoy attacking the peat issue over the environmental aspect, let 'em, IMO they are full of crap for the most part but I acknowledge their right to bleat away."

I have seen nothing to change my mind yet and merely pointed out areas that the person you had linked to, might be considered by some, to be wasting resources unnecessarily.

As far as reading the article, your impression is in error, I read it, and I wholeheartedly agree with the authors point about most people not really knowing much about peat.

Which "snarky anti-environmentalist comment"? I think maybe you might have confused something with my snarky fake-environmentalist comment.

As far as peat, I don't use it so I am neither offended nor defensive. Nor do I use coir. Although I must admit to being perplexed at the suggestion of shipping something from across an ocean and halfway across a continent when peat can be had less than 10 miles from me. Doesn't seem so environmentally friendly to me.

In any event I prefer leaves and straw over either of them and I choose not to crucify someone for choosing peat or coir as they may have their own reasons/situation unknown to me. But that's just me.

Lloyd

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

Oh, I totally missed your point about FAKE environmentalists.

So what you are really saying is that anyone who earns money by authoring a book or taking a speaking tour, is a fake environmentalist....

gee that point went right over my head.

I guess everyone should just use the internet as print and face to face communications are just too unsustainable.

Ruth Stout sold a lot of books and spoke a lot too. She was such a hypocrite too!

• Lloyd
    15 years ago

Actually your interpretation of what I said would be incorrect JPW.

And I don't know who Ruth Stout is, but if she chooses to bring up bogus environmental issues to beat people over the head with then perhaps I might just call her a hypocrite. Does she bring up bogus environmental issues and beat people over the head with them? Doesn't seem she'd be able to sell a lot of books being like that.

Off to wash dishes at a Legion dinner so don't get upset if it takes me a while to get back to any other incorrect interpretations you might come up with.

Toodles.

Lloyd

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

One man's bogus environmental issue is another man's precious ecosystem.

And because that other person doesn't share your opinion of the value of a certain ecosystem, then they are bogus hypocrites?

I think I am getting it now.

• greenmulberry
    15 years ago

Thanks for bringing this up, I just read the whole thing. I had never considered where peat comes from but the case against its use is clear. I will not buy peat again.

If harvesting peat moss destroys ancient biotopes then there is no excuse to use it when there are alternatives. Even if we can replace the actual peat, we cannot replace the biotope that developed over millenia.

A soil amendment is not important enough to harm something like that.

• swanz
    15 years ago

We can't even make a dent in Canada's peat supply. Peat is growing and replenishing at a rate many times higher than it's being harvested..If it was used in North America for hundreds of years as a source of fuel (as done in Ireland) then maybe worrying would be warranted. But that's not the case.

• annpat
    15 years ago

yup, case closed. No further debate needed.

• greenmulberry
    15 years ago

It doesn't matter if peat CAN or IS being replenished, if harvesting it from ancient peat bogs disrupts the local ecosystem, then we should not do it since there are many other soil amendments available, many of them free depending on where you live.

If there was peat moss that was sold certified as the product of "second growth" peat bogs, it would be different, but as far as I know, there is know way to know what type of bog the peat comes from.

Once the local ecosystem is destroyed, it will not return in our lifetime even if the peat is renewed.

You can clear cut a stand of ancient redwoods, wiping out the local flora and fauna, and then replant all the trees. Have you replaced what was destroyed? Not at all. New trees are there, but it will take thousands of years for the forest to return to what it once was.

It would be one thing if we were harvesting something really important out of these bogs. But a soil amendment? Not worth it.

• swanz
    15 years ago

Ancient peat bogs? I think there's too much romance being added to this.

• Lloyd
    15 years ago

JPW, I am unable to answer your query, I have no clue what is meant by "bogus hypocrites". Sorry, maybe my lack of formal education coming into play again.

But if I had to make a WAG, I don't get the impression that you are getting it now. Could just be me though.

And as an aside, I will not buy peat nor coir either.

Lloyd

P.S. Off to the Legion again. TTFN

• annpat
    15 years ago

Really Swanz? At a depth of 2.2 meters, one of Maine's peat bogs is approximately 5300 years old. At twice that depth, it dates to 7000 BCE. How old is old enough for you to classify something as ancient?

• swanz
    15 years ago

Every element surrounding us is recycled, and ancient in some form or another. The bottom line is that when harvested it does not take that long to replenish and our hemisphere creates many times more each year than is harvested.Anyone doing honest research will know this. Even Elliot Coleman who is an uber organic and ardent environmentalist discusses this in his book.. He did extensive research on the matter.

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

Its not the peat that ins't replenished in reclaimed bogs, its magnitude and diversity of insects, the amphibians, and other microflora and microflauna that missing in a reclaimed bog.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. If the active harvesting of peat for horticultural purposes of the .02% of the total Canadian peat reserves causes greater environmental alarm and concern than than the 15% that has been lost to development through deforestation, urbanization, industrialization and agriculture, then something is radically wrong with the underlying logic.

This will continue to be a debate that will have little resolution. Diehard environmentalists will continue to insist that horticultural peat is a non-renewable resource despite all evidence to the contrary. And while they consider this evidence faulty simply because it is produced by those involved in the peat industry - for scientific as well as commercial interests - does not negate the fact that those involved are the only ones bothered to complile and produce the statistics that represent this evidence -- all the rest is merely suppostion and innuendo repeated ad nauseum. One doesn't often hear from these same folks about their boycotting of Canadian lumber and agricultural products that have a much greater impact on the demise of peat bogs - they pick their arguments to suit their case, as do most of the vast uninformed and uneducated.

It's still a matter of personal choice. If for whatever reason - based on ill-formed logic or otherwise - one chooses not to use peat, that's fine. But to lambaste those who do based on the faulty logic they advocate that the use of horticultural Canadian peat is somehow radically and irretrievably altering the environment is to ignore their own personal impact that has a far greater adverse affect.

• annpat
    15 years ago

Are you seriously comparing agricultural to peat mining?

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

Because we are losing so many habitats to development, it makes it even more important not disrupt ecosystems for something as unnecessary as a soil amendment. There are plenty of other available soil amendments, that are more sustainable.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

Are you seriously comparing agricultural to peat mining?

I am comparing the amount of peat habitat that is lost to other uses/development, including agricultural activities, to that which is disturbed by harvesting peat for horticultural purposes - 15% versus .02%. It's a pretty significant comparison. And the correct term is 'harvesting', not 'mining', as the acreage IS replanted/reseeded with peat virtually immediately as it is harvested, just like any other crop.

With the exception of the recyclable nature of compost/vegetative waste and the continual production of animal manures, virtually ALL other soil amendments lack sustainability or renewability, most much more so than peat. Disruption of ecosystems is an inevitable, if regrettable, fact of human life on this planet. Why the relatively minute amount associated with horticultural peat harvesting causes such an uproar when faced with the widespread destruction of habitats as the result of logging/farming of the rain forests, the North American timber industry, our mindless overpopulation, our love affair with vehicles and the fossil fuels they require and the constant manipulation and alteration of all aspects of our environment seems more than slightly misplaced. At least the Canadian peat industry is being carefully managed and controlled and habitat restoration is a paramount concern. Can we say that about any other part of our wanton destruction of the globe?

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

Two wrongs don't make a right.

The logic that because habitat destruction occurs from other reasons on a larger scale, that we shouldn't do things to conserve, no matter how small they are, doesn't make sense to me.

And yes, agriculture is a form of development. If not done sustainably, it is as destructive to the environment as many other of types of development.

• Lloyd
    15 years ago

These guys are a fairly large farm, I worked for a local farmer who bought some standing alfalfa from that area back in the 70's. Now I think they are more into the peat sod. They claim they ship peat soil as far away as Texas.

Here is another farmer up there that does the same thing. There are several farms that do this now.

Stead is about an hour away from me.

Lloyd

• Lloyd
    15 years ago

This company is exploring the feasibility of using peat to replace coal in thermal plants. It is claimed that peat is better then coal environmentaly.

Lloyd

• annpat
    15 years ago

gardengal, the Canadian Resource Counsel refers to the 'mining' of peat moss, as do other peat mining facilities.

I'm curious if you think that calling people ignorant, uninformed or uneducated proves your argument? I feel like after you call someone one of your dismissive terms, you dust off your hands, and say, "Well, there! Case closed." It doesn't take 12 minutes researching the topic to find that a lot of scientists, horticulturalists, and environmentalists hold an opposing view to yours. Are we all less informed, less educated than you?

And because I eat food, drive a car, and heat my home with oil, my stand against the mining of peat is moot? You're smarter than that, gardengal. That argument is beneath you.

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

One thing I thought interesting about the Druse article is that many of the gardeners that he talked to that were using peat weren't even using it for its intended purpose. Certainly those people wouldn't be adversely affected if they stopped using peat.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County