SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilacs_of_may

Lilacs are dying

16 years ago

I have three lilacs that don't look like they're going to make it. I planted a James McFarlane, about 3 feet tall, last summer. It didn't do well, and the leaves withered around August. Then in September when it cooled off, it leafed out a little again, so I thought it might make it. Several canes died back, but it leafed out this spring. Now in the last week or two, the leaves have all shriveled up and died. I don't know what to do about it. I was told that it might be potbound, that I should have cut the potbound roots before I planted it. Well, I didn't know. And I don't know if it's worth it to try to dig it up and fix the problem now, or if I should just give up on it and get a much bigger, healthier lilac to plant there. It's supposed to be part of a much needed privacy screen, but it's shrinking rather than growing, so it's not much help.

Two months ago, I planted a smaller Sensation lilac, about 15-18 inches tall. It got a little leggy before I could get it in the ground, but it seemed healthy so I thought it would be okay.

The twigs all drooped and then bent. It has some green leaves at the very tips, but the rest of it doesn't look too well.

Last month, I planted an Evangeline, about 15 or so inches tall. It was wonderfully bushy and healthy when I planted it. It drooped a bit, but I figured that was transplant shock. But then, from the bottom up, the leaves started drying out and dying. It doesn't turn yellow or brown first. The leaves just turn crispy. I don't know if it's going to make it.

The last two I planted properly. Big enough hole, mixed with a little compost and bagged soil. I also have smaller lilacs that I planted last summer and fall, an Adelaide Dunbar, a Krasavitsa Muscvy, and an Ellen Wilmott. They're between 12 and 18 inches tall. The earwigs and leaf cutter bees have bitten up the leaves, and they droop a little with the heat, but they perk up when it cools down a bit and/or after being watered. They look like they'll pull through fine.

But what do I do about the James McFarlane, the Sensation, and the Evangeline? Are they beyond hope? Should I dig them up and have a local nursery plant larger (5-7 foot) lilacs there (the privacy screen need)?

For the record, I have sandy Colorado soil, although I've partially amended it when I planted. I make sure that the shrubs are watered deeply when it's too long between rains. (I now have a moisture meter to measure what it's doing several inches below the surface.) And I've fertilized them occasionally with Miracle-Gro. I don't want to risk burning them by fertilizing too often. The ones that are doing well are in full sun all day (and in summer heat). The ones that aren't are on the end where they get dappled sun in the afternoon from a nearby tree (like 10 to 20 feet away). But in the middle of the fading shrubs is a Syringa Vulgaris (about 12 inches tall) that's doing fine, although the bugs have been chomping its leaves, too.

I'm not much of a gardener. I keep inadvertently killing things!

Comments (6)