SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berlyn_gw

The effects of River rock on the bottom of pond.

berlyn
12 years ago

I been ponding for 10+ years. I know every spring the dreaded algae bloom/green water/pea soup will come and will go. This year after seeing all the gunk on the rocks we decided it was time for a pond cleaning/degunking, divide water lilies and fertizile them. We did this in June, far after the yearly algae bloom had passed.

Now when we were setting up this pond 10 years ago, hubby & I debated about river rock on the bottom. He wanted it, liked the way it looked. "Natural" is what he called it. I was more skeptical after reading posts on this forum. He won & the river rock went it.

Back to this past June. We cleaned the river rock BUT did not remove them from the pond and do a "OCD thorough cleaning". Which we learned the later needs to be done if you choose to go the river rock route. Oh, did I mention the smell of the gunk. I felt like I was doing sewer work rather than pond!

After this "cleaning" I had nothing but green water ALL summer long! Which I posted a thread here--http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/ponds/msg1010235019818.html?10

I have racked my brain, picked through old threads on this forum. Asking myself, "Why this green water this time of year?" Telling myself, something is off balanced in the pond. Is it the drought, the 40+ days of 100'+ temps, too much sun, the fertilizer tabs. I even resorted to using an Algae Remover product, which only created more havoc on my plants & lilies and less surface coverage. I shaded the pond with patio umbrella's and/or landscaping material.

You name it, I tried it this summer!! But I still had green murky water. Hubby kept telling me, it was the plant fertilizer. I was skeptical once again, since that was June & it's now October.

Don't ask me what I was doing, but I once again did a partial water change and put my hand by the drain and stirred up all this "stuff". I checked the quilt batting in my biofilter thinking it would be filthy. It was not. Not even slightly dirty. Then I had a thought. Are those river rocks the root of my problem?

After 2 days of removing everything in my pond, including those river rocks. Getting a sunburn & every inch of my body aching, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I did grab my phone & took some pics 1/2 way during this process.

Rocks after we removed them from pond. You can see all the leave particles on them.

{{gwi:235064}}

After I had to pry the water lilies from the rocks, the debris that I could get off, got cut off.

{{gwi:235065}}

The gunk left after removing the river rock. Keeping in mind we cleaned this pond out in June.

{{gwi:235066}}

The gunk that was removed with the river rocks.

{{gwi:235067}}

If you are debating on going with River Rocks or not on the bottom of your pond, sooner or later you will have problems! I won't even begin to tell what a mess and the smell!

On a positive note, the tropical lily I thought I lost. I did find back in June being smothered by a hardy was repotted and has bloomed all summer long. I have 2 more blooms coming up.

I will follow up with more pics.

Comments (18)