SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shelley_t

Japanese style pond- No rock edging? or liner?

shelley_t
16 years ago

Hi!

I'm planning on re-doing my water-garden completely this spring and I'm thinking of going Japanese. In the research I was doing, I found an article (sample) that started to say how you should never ring your pond in rocks to avoid the "necklace effect". It talked about using a variety of edges and I suppose includes some kind of plant edge. This sounds lovely, but we all know the liner needs held up with something. I know I've seen a UK gardening show that had a grass edge (Pretty, but can we say "mowing nightmare!") Perhaps another ground cover that would completely obscure a flat rock and liner? Any clues?

Also another article teased you with the statement: "This article exposes the shortcomings of pond liners when it comes to Japanese garden water features. Pond liners might be adequate in providing backyard fun to an average water garden enthusiast, but they don't get the job done in serious Japanese gardens that have much higher standards of quality and aesthetic beauty." I think you have to buy the magazine to get the full story.

In the end, I think I'll probably go with the tried and true liner, but I'd love to know the answer to what's wrong with our liners.

Thanks!

Shelley

Comments (8)