SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keithcindy_gw

Building a raised bed border with stone

keithcindy
19 years ago

I would love to build a small raised bed out of beach stone. The average sized rock is probably 2 to 3 inches around, and they aren't necessarily flat on one side.

I've tried experimenting with small prototypes, but so far they've all been a disaster. Seems like I can't find one set of instructions that seems to work.

I could have my husband build the bed out of wood and try to adhere the stone to the outside. What would I use to stick the rocks to the wood? Do I have to add rocks in levels and wait so that the ones on the top don't slip down? Then I grout after it's all dried? Seems like some folks just use a thick mortar and stick the rocks in there, but I couldn't get that to work. (I want to build this in-situ, so I'll be working on a vertical surface)

I tried a concrete paver, but again had problems getting rocks to stick, choosing what to use to get the rocks to stick, and then figuring out the process, recipe. (mortar only and no grout, some kind of liquid nails to stick the rock and then grout, etc)

Has anyone done this, and if so, do you have step by step instructions for the novice. I'd love a 'recipe' with brands of mortar or concrete, or whatever you used.

Thanks!

Comment (1)