SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sharon_greenacre

Mortaring in rocks -- pH issues?

sharon_greenacre
13 years ago

So the muskrat has moved out and I'm putting in a new liner, since the damage to the old one was just too extensive. Plus, this way I don't have to re-build the waterfall. The fish are waiting patiently in a big kiddie pool, but I'm feeling time pressure to get the pond re-constructed and the fish and plants returned to the pond before winter ice.

The plan is to cover the new liner with mortar (or concrete) and smooth 6" and under rocks. I want to do this as soon as possible, in case the muskrat decides to return.

1) Should I use mortar or concrete? I got the idea several years back from a member of this forum but did not keep his name and don't know if he's still around. He used mortar, but someone mentioned on another old thread that concrete might crack less and hold up better.

2) What procedure should I follow to get the excess lime leached out and the pH under control? Is it realistic to try to get the fish back in there before December? (I hope to install the new liner by the end of this week and to do the mortaring before the end of next week.)

Thanks!

Sharon

Comments (10)