SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thecitychicken

I made a homemade filter...and it works great!

thecitychicken
15 years ago

A couple of days after reading posts here and looking up stuff on the 'net, I tried making my own homemade pond filter.

I had a swimming pool pump and filter going in there. I got it from a used swimming pool on craigslist. It was not cleaning the water very well at all.

So I took the pump out of the housing and found that the pump itself could be submerged.

I bought two collanders from the Dollar Tree store. Then I bought a yard of quilting batting.

I "hinged" the collanders together with a couple of zip ties.

I put a plastic perforated filter cap thingy over the inlet of the pump and then wrapped the pump in the quilting batting. Then I shoved the whole wad into the two collanders. I used one screw to close the collanders.

There is a long outlet tube that runs from the pump, out of the collanders, and over to a waterfall.

Then I stirred the water all up to make a green soup, came out in the morning and it was all clear! It is a small pump but it says it does 1000 gph, and my pond is only 220 gallons, so it filters it pretty quickly.

We got six fish from a friend a few days ago and now we can see the fish and the bottom of the pond!

It's so fun! The fish are pretty large goldfish and are rather tame; if you put your hand in, they come up to you, and you can kind of even handle them!

My next step is to figure out how I can make the filter collander ball more "attractive" or blend in more.

---Katy

Comments (11)