SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julespa

Boulder gardens on steep slopes

julespa
16 years ago

Hello

I am about to buy a house with a unuseable as it stands backyard. The yard slopes upward at about a 40-45 degree incline (the house is halfway up a small mountain) I am used to flat farmland and have a huge garden at my apartment which I will be moving with me (my landlord is aware of this and is cool with me moving the garden since they will not be able to maintain it in my absence) I am curious about ideas of planting on this slope. I would like to terrace it but not have a real formal terrace. I will be getting a professional in to install the first terrace since it will be more than 3 feet tall but the rest it is up to me. I had thought about getting some large boulders, burrying them 1/3 of the way and back filling, also there is a really old cement staircase leading only 1/3 of the way up the property that is dangerous, instead of ripping it out I was thinking about turning it into a dry stream bed. Does anyone have any suggestin for material to use as a retaining wall, stone, wood cement blocks etc? Or have pics of a terraced yard to inspire me? Thanks

Comment (1)

Sponsored