SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jctl_pw

Looking for design rules/guidelines for steep slopes

jctl
17 years ago

I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on design principles for gardens on steep slopes? I've tried to research this, but all the literature I find is geared to a flat lot, or towards minimizing soil erosion rather than design.

One very good tip I picked up from the hillside gardening forum is to hold up a plant and look at it from the underside, as this is what you'll see once it's planted on a hill.

Gardening on a steep slope is very difficult; you don't want to make too many mistakes that you'll have to undo. Also, your mistakes are very visible (e.g. I've discovered too late that mint julep junipers are not very attractive when viewed from below). It's very important to think in three dimensions, but not so easy to understand exactly how to do that.

My lot is on a very steep slope (approx. 40' by 140', varying between approx 30-50 degrees (steep from the road to the retaining wall in front of the house, very steep immediately behind the house, flatter toward the end of the property, with mature oak and maple trees behind the house).

Any tips/suggestions would be most appreciated.

Comments (6)