SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
floridarosez9

It didn't, so I dug it.

Maitland White has been in my garden for about a year and a half, and the canes have always been prostrate on the ground and the pretty blooms would get spattered with dirt every time I watered or it rained. It never gained in height, and I just got tired of it sitting there doing nothing.

I finally dug it up, and it came up in two pieces (there may have been two plants in the original pot, but I don't think so), and I potted it up in two large pots in a commercial potting mix with clean clay kitty litter mixed in. Within a week, the old canes were starting to grow upward with lots of new canes growing straight to the sky. It is throwing out many flower buds right now.

It was originally planted in purported mushroom compost (I think it was really just cow manure) and got plenty of sun and was on a mister system. It may get a little more sun since I put it in the pots, but not a lot more. I am puzzled as to why it wasn't happy in the ground. It doesn't get as much water as it did in-ground. So do you think the kitty litter could have made that much difference or maybe the fact it gets less water?

Comments (14)