SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amalgamation

Winter & General Pond Help?! w/pix Tucson, AZ

amalgamation
15 years ago

Hopefully someone out there can help? To get right to my questions, you can go to the end :)

This year we became accidental ponders. Over the summer monsoon season our empty pond filled up just a couple of inches and suddenly, we were inundated with tadpoles. It was wonderful but scary, as we loved the Spadefoot Toads and kept them alive, but we ended up with a full pond, some pond plants, and mosquito fish. ItÂs a bit overwhelming, but we do love the pond now and want to keep it.

Thing is, we havenÂt even had any kind of pumps or filtration systems. (The people that built the pond had some sort of large pump hooked up, but it hasnÂt worked since weÂve been here.)

Even so, things have been going surprisingly well. The plants really took off, as did the fish, and the tadpoles grew up and moved out into the yard where they have buried themselves until the next monsoon season.

So what we are left with is just the pond, mosquito fish and plants. Unfortunately, our pond is built under two big trees, one of which is dropping all of its leaves right about now. ThereÂs a ton of muck on the bottom, and though we can see through the water, itÂs really brown/tannin colored.

IÂm worried about the muck and leaves rotting. I actually pulled some out with my hands (YUCK!) from the shallowest part of the pond and it smelled awful. How do we get it out of there with the fish and plants? (The fish are pretty tiny - most under an inch - and Fast.)

Also, I think the Water Lettuce plants are rotting, if we take them out, what will the fish do? We also have some Parrot Feather, a few Fox Tails, and one Iris plant.

Do we take out all the plants over winter? Will all of them rot otherwise?

Is there a cheap system to give the fish air? We're too freaked out about the economy to spend a lot of money right now on a whole new pond system. I think our pond is about 2,500  3,300 gallons. (It measures about 8Â-10 x 11 ½ x 3- 3 ½  itÂs really oddly shaped, so itÂs hard to measure.)

We just donÂt know where to begin. Are there any books that have helped you? Are there any local  Tucson, AZ  places selling pond equipment you feel good about recommending?

Thanks for *ANY* help!

-A

P.S. I did read the FAQ :)

{{gwi:217757}}

{{gwi:217758}}

{{gwi:217760}}

{{gwi:234652}}

Comments (6)