SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ralleia

Permanent paths in intensively-gardened space

ralleia
12 years ago

It's forecast to get over 60 degrees today and I want to spend every possible minute of the warm-up OUTSIDE working on the garden.

The 20' x 24' hoophouse is going to have the paths re-organized to use a 30' wide row (a la Eliot Coleman and the six-row Johnnys Seeds seeder) versus the four foot wide bed method (a la Mel Bartholomew's Square Foot Gardening).

I would like to make the right decision regarding what to use for permanent paths, path widths, and whether to sink the paths a little lower than the surrounding beds/rows.

A major goal is to encourage the whole soil food web--fungi, earthworms, everything except voles, moles, mice and shrews to help dig pores in my clayey loam.

Since it's a hoophouse, "rain" is human-controlled, of course!

Should I--

1) use just dirt (which gets quite compacted of course, and muddy/slippery when wet)

2) move and reset the 6" wide concrete sections that I have in place now, salvaged from a concrete curb tear-out? I've found I probably need to go a bit wider on the paths--it's not a lot of fun to weed or harvest while squatting precariously on a 6" wide space. Isn't fun to trot along either, especially when the plants' leaves are all draping over the path.

A disadvantage with this has been *if* I try to run the Mantis tiller, the fear of hitting the edge of the concrete.

3) Use 1x??? lumber, or some version of an elevated walkway like nature centers use to keep foot traffic off the ground?

4) seed low-growing perennial clover, or even high-growing and mow it down periodically? It would need to be edged routinely in a while, too, to prevent it from growing into the beds. Probably wouldn't want anything too vigorous, either. Though I live in zone 5, the hoophouse should be able to support up to zone 6 hardiness.

Comments (17)