SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oklady_gw

Needing some info/help re: flagstone patio

OkLady
11 years ago

I need some help/info/ideas with my rock ratio. This is my first DIY project and I am so lost. I am on a budget & trying to keep the cost as low as I can. First off I live out in the country in Oklahoma & using approx. 4 inch thick flagstone from the hill on the side of my house. The area is going to be 15X15 coming off the back porch of my house. We got the area cleaned out, tampered down, landscape fabric, dirt and placing stones now. My bf seems to think we don't need gravel or small rock because the soil where we live is good enough. It doesn't sound right to me because all the flagstone patio info that I've read mentions having some layer of rock. Also another problem/dilemma we are having is how to finish the patio. Our goal is to have chairs & table on a stable surface. He says fill the stones halfway up with soil & mix in a concrete/sand mix. I read some articles about using polymetric sand or lock joint sand. I don't know what our best option is at this point. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions to get us back on track with this project I would appreciate it.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus